Roger L. Nielsen Papers, 1977-2010 PDF
- Nielsen, R. L. (Roger L.)
- Roger L. Nielsen Papers
- 1977-2010 (inclusive)19772010
- 1.5 cubic feet, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- The Roger L. Nielsen Papers document Nielsen's teaching, research, and university service at Oregon State University and include teaching materials, committee records, and publications. A Professor of Geosciences, Nielsen joined the faculty of Oregon State University in 1988.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Roger L. Nielsen Papers document Nielsen's teaching, research, and service activities at Oregon State University. The papers includes teaching materials, committee records, and publications. About half of the materials are course materials that include outlines and syllabi, examination blanks and keys, lab assignments, lecture notes, overhead transparencies, and reference materials. These materials document courses in mineralogy, lithology (Geo 315), and microprobe analysis taught by Nielsen.
The collection also includes extensive committee records for University committees on which Nielsen served as a member or chair. Records of the Faculty Senate Promotion and Tenure Committee (2007-2008), Conflict of Interest Committee (2004-2005), University Space Committee (2007-2008), Indirect Cost Recovery Task Force (2002-2004), and Rural Studies Program Executive Committee (2005) are included. Materials pertaining to a possible merger of the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences and the Geosciences Department are part of the collection. A Geology Department Program Review submitted to the Dean of College of Science in 1989 is also included.
Reprints and photocopies of journal articles, conference papers and abstracts, and other publications that Nielsen authored from 1977 to 2007 are available in the collection.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Roger L. Nielsen is a Professor of Geosciences at Oregon State University. He joined the faculty of the Oregon State University College of Oceanography in 1988 as a Research Associate. In 1991 he became an Associate Professor in the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences and was promoted to Professor in 2000, at which time he also became Director of the Geology Program in the Geosciences Department. From 2003 until 2008, Nielsen servied a Chair of the Geosciences Department.
Nielsen specializes in igneous petrology, analytic geochemistry, trace element modeling, phase equilibria, and electron microprobe analysis. His research interests include computer modeling of the crystallization of magma within volcanoes; measurement of trace metals in crystals and liquids formed during experimental melting and crystallization of volcanic rocks; and the study of natural inclusions of magma within crystals.
Nielsen has developed and taught various undergraduate and graduate courses in mineralogy, petrology, igneous petrology and petrography, microprobe analysis, geosciences communication, and the geology of Oregon.
He earned BS (1976) and MS (1978) degrees in Geology at the University of Arizona and a Ph.D. in Geology from Southern Methodist University in 1983.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Electron probe microanalysis.
- Geology--Study and teaching (Higher)
- Igneous rocks.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University. College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.
- Oregon State University. College of Oceanography.
- Oregon State University. Dept. of Geosciences.
- Oregon State University. Faculty Senate.
- Oregon State University--Administration.
- Oregon State University--Faculty.
- Oregon State University--Research.