Iris Thorpe Barry papers, 1925-1975 PDF
- Barry, Iris, 1903-1983Lenniger Literary Agency.
- Iris Thorpe Barry papers
- 1925-1975 (inclusive)19251975
- 3.5 linear feet, (3 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 227
- Iris Thorpe Barry was a writer of poetry, short stories, and crime and suspense novels. The collection contains manuscripts of poems, short stories, and novels, correspondence, memorabilia and publicity, and published works, 1925-1975.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Iris Thorpe Barry was a writer of poetry, short stories, and crime and suspense novels. She wrote poetry under her maiden name, Iris Lora Phillips, her name during her first marriage, Iris Lora Thorpe, and her name during her second marriage, Iris Barry (or Iris Thorpe Barry).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains manuscripts of poems, short stories, and novels, correspondence, memorabilia and publicity, and published works.
This collection is arranged by accession/addendum.
The original donation contains manuscripts, published works, correspondence, clippings, notes, and addresses.
Manuscript material includes two novel-length manuscripts with revisions, outlines, and notes.
Manuscripts of poems, short stories, and essays, and published work are organized together by title, and some of the manuscripts contain revisions.
The addendum of 1974 includes correspondence, manuscripts, published works, and memorabilia.
Correspondence is separated into incoming and outgoing sections. There are only four outgoing letters, 1957-1968. Incoming correspondence is more substantial, with ninety-two letters, and is organized by last name or title, 1925-1975. Correspondents include publishers and literary agencies, including the Lenniger Literary Agency.
Manuscripts consist of novel length, short story, articles, and poetry. Most of the book length-manuscripts include draft and revised versions, notes, corrections, and outlines, and are organized by title. Some of the short story manuscripts include corrections and most include draft and final versions, and are arranged by title of work. There are also tear sheets of published short stories.
There are two manuscripts of articles and one includes drafts and revisions with corrections. Poetry work includes manuscripts and published versions. Poetry is organized by the name Barry used when writing: Iris Lora Phillips, Iris Lora Thorpe, and Iris Barry. Poem titles are arranged alphabetically within each name section.
There is also memorabilia included in the collection consisting of clippings, programs, notices, and advertisements.
Miscellaneous material includes notes, character sketches, and english notebook, and a text of a speech.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Iris Thorpe Barry papers, Ax 227, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- American fiction--20th century--Authorship
- American poetry--Women authors
- Authors and publishers--Correspondence
- Authors, American--20th century
- Detective and mystery stories, American--Authorship
- Love stories--Authorship
- Suspense fiction--Authorship
- Women authors, American--20th century
- Women authors, American--20th century--Correspondence
- Personal Names :
- Barry, Iris, 1903-1983
- Barry, Iris, 1903-1983--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Lenniger Literary Agency--Records and correspondence.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication
- Romantic suspense fiction
- Short stories