Native American Newspaper Collection, 1975-1993 PDF
- Siletz Tribal Cultural Collections
- Native American Newspaper Collection
- 1975-1993 (inclusive)19751993
- 0.22 cubic feet
- Collection Number
- OrSlTCC Native American
- The collection contains newspapers and clippings regarding issues and events affecting Native American tribes throughout the United States from 1975-1993.
- Confederated Tribes of the Siletz, Tribal Cultural Collections
402 Park Way P.O. Box 549
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Collection materials are in English.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant rewarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains newspapers and clippings regarding issues and events affecting Native American tribes throughout the United States from 1975-1993. Collection focuses include legislation regarding museum artifacts and grave robbing, the activism and death of David Sohappy, and controversy regarding the 500th anniversary of Columbus Day. Secondary focuses include obstacles and movements towards tribal self-sufficiency, exhibits of cultural objects, and Native American religious rights.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Native American Newspaper Collection, Siletz Tribal Cultural Collections, Siletz, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Grave robbing
- Indian reservations
- Indians of North America--Civil rights
- Personal Names :
- Curtis, Edward S., 1868-1952
- Ray, Bill
- Sohappy, David
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Newspaper clippings