Joseph Leroy Dodds correspondence, 1914-1957 PDF
- Dodds, Joseph Leroy, 1891-
- Joseph Leroy Dodds correspondence
- 1914-1957 (inclusive)19141957
- 0.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- A 292
- Joseph LeRoy Dodds (1891 - ) worked in India as a Presbyterian missionary in 1917, and in 1932, Dodds was appointed secretary of the India Council of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions, and four years later he became secretary of the Board itself. The collection (1917-1958) contains correspondence and notes pertaining to trips Dodds made to China, the Near East, and Iran, as well as to his early experiences in India as teacher and instructor at the seminary.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Joseph LeRoy Dodds (1891 - ) graduated from Grove City College in Pennsylvania. After teaching high school for two years, he entered the Western Theological Seminary in Pittsburgh and earned a Bachelor of Theology degree.
Dodds went to India as a Presbyterian missionary in 1917. In 1922, was appointed instructor of Old Testament literature at the North Indian United Theological College (mission seminary), in Saharanpur, India, and was elected president of the seminary in 1928.
In 1932, Dodds was appointed secretary of the India Council of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions, and four years later he became secretary of the Board itself. He traveled extensively while in that office.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Dodd wrote personal letters and also sent out newsletters. Personal correspondence is organized by date, 1917-1940, and the newsletters are also organized in date order from 1930; 1938 to 1958.
There are folders of incoming correspondence organized alphabetically. A section of letters from his wife, Ora Dodds, and filed by date, 1917-1957.
There is also a folder of transcriptions from a diary/journal and include information about a trip to Iran, trips to China, notes, and travel logs.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Joseph Leroy Dodds correspondence, A 292, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Presbyterian Church--Missions--India
- Personal Names :
- Dodds, Joseph Leroy, 1891-
- Geographical Names :
- China--Description and travel
- Form or Genre Terms :