Berny Wagner Scrapbooks, 1966-1975 PDF
- Wagner, Berny
- Berny Wagner Scrapbooks
- 1966-1975 (inclusive)19661975
- 5 cubic feet, (10 volumes)
- Collection Number
- Consult repository.
- The Berny Wagner Scrapbooks document the Oregon State University men's track and field teams coached by Wagner from 1966 through 1975.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Berny Wagner served as Oregon State University's cross country and track and field coach from July 1965 through December 1975. In 1972 he was voted as a United States Track Coaches Association Coach of the Year, and was an assistant track coach for the 1976 U.S. Olympic team. Prior to coming to OSU, Wagner coached track and cross country at the College of San Mateo (CA) from 1962 to 1965 and track at four California high schools from 1949 to 1962. He received BA (1948) and MA (1949) degrees in Education from Stanford University.
Other positions that Wagner has held during his career have included working with Whitaker Corporation's International Sports program in Saudi Arabia (1976-1978); Executive Director of the Track & Field Association of the USA (1978-1981); and National Coach/Coordinator of The Athletics Congress (1981-1989).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Berny Wagner Scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings and magazine articles documenting Wagner's tenure as coach of Oregon State University's men's track and field team for the 1966 through 1975 seasons. The scrapbooks highlight many of OSU's track and field standouts from that time, such as 1968 Olympic gold medal winner Dick Fosbury and All-Americans Jim Barkley, Steve DeAutremont, Willie Turner, Tom Woods, Jim Judd, Hailu Ebba, and Ed Lipscomb.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Track and field athletes--Oregon.
- Track coaches--Oregon.
- Personal Names :
- Judd, Jim (James Lewis), 1952-
- Barkley, Jim.
- DeAutremont, Steve.
- Ebba, Hailu,1950-
- Fosbury, Dick.
- Lipscomb, Ed (Edmond Joseph), 1951-
- Turner, Willie.
- Woods, Tom (Thomas Eugene), 1953-
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University--Track-athletics.
- Form or Genre Terms :