College of Home Economics Motion Picture Films and Videotapes, 1950-1998 PDF
- Oregon State University. College of Home Economics.
- College of Home Economics Motion Picture Films and Videotapes
- 1950-1998 (inclusive)19501998
- 1 cubic foot, including 25 videotapes and 7 motion picture film reels, (5 boxes)
- Collection Number
- FV P 044
- The College of Home Economics Motion Picture Films and Videotapes document home economics instruction and extension activities at Oregon State University and include footage of the home management houses in the 1950s; recordings of lectures and presentations; and promotions for the Family Living Center, College centennial, and the Mini-College extension program.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The College of Home Economics at Oregon State University was established in 1889 as the Department of Household Economy and Hygiene and was the first such program west of the Rocky Mountains. The College merged with the College of Health and Human Performance in 2002 to form the College of Health and Human Sciences.
Home management houses (or practice houses) were established in the School of Home Economics in 1916 and a six-week residency in one of the houses was required of all home economics students. Beginning in 1926, infants and toddlers lived in the home management houses and were cared for by the students and resident advisor. More than 50 children lived in the home management houses for several weeks to a year from 1926 through the 1940s.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The College of Home Economics Motion Picture Films and Videotapes document home economics instruction and extension activities at Oregon State University. The films include footage of the home management houses, including Withycombe House, and the nursery school from the 1950s and a color film on mattress construction. A film on home economics careers is a kinescope recording of a KOAC-TV broadcast.
The bulk of the collection consists of videotapes, primarily of lectures and presentations by faculty and off-campus speakers for home economics education classes. Speakers include Joanne Miksis, Debbie Zeller, Doris Brannan, Kay Mehas, Gini Teemer, and Clara Pratt. Topics include teen/parent programs, food science and technology, fashion merchandising, and teaching about interpersonal relationships in high school.
The videotapes also include a recording of Dean Betty Hawthorne and one pertains to home economics in the Portland (Oregon) Public Schools. Two videotapes in the When Dependence Increases series by Extension Gerontology are included. Promotional productions for a proposed Family Study Center and the Mini-College extension program are part of the collection. A recording of a rehearsed statement by a crowd in front of the Memorial Union declaring the 100th anniversary of the College of Home Economics in May 1988 was made for the Good Morning America television program. The videotape was provided by the KEZI television station in Eugene.
All of the videotapes are VHS format. Three of the films are 16 mm; 4 reels are super 8 mm. Most of the films are b/w.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright, reproduction, and use restrictions may apply to the videotape made by KEZI television for Good Morning America.
College of Home Economics Motion Picture Films and Videotapes (FV P 044), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Home economics extension work--Oregon.
- Home economics students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Home economics--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Oregon State University. Extension Service.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Motion pictures (visual works)
- Silent films.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Hawthorne, Betty Eileen. (creator)
- Mehas, Kay Yockey. (creator)
- Miksis, Joanne S. (creator)
- Pratt, Clara C. (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- KOAC (Television station : Corvallis, Or.) (creator)
- Oregon State College. School of Home Economics. (creator)