Fred Tooley Photograph Collection, 1910-1961 PDF
- Tooley, Fred.
- Fred Tooley Photograph Collection
- 1910-1961 (inclusive)19101961
- 0.03 cubic foot, including 16 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- P 278
- The Fred Tooley Photograph Collection consists of photographs assembled by Tooley during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) and of subsequent reunions of the Class of 1911 in 1936 and 1961. Tooley earned a BS in agriculture from OAC in 1911.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Fred Venard Tooley attended Oregon Agricultural College in 1908-1911 and earned a BS in agriculture in 1911. Tooley married Hattie Joy Mason, who graduated from Oregon Agricultural College in 1914. According to the Oregon State alumni directories, Tooley was an orchard foreman at the Hood River Orchard and Land Company in Ortley, Oregon (1913); an orchardist in Otley, Oregon (1917); and a truck gardener in The Dalles (1925). Tooley attended high school in Portland, Oregon; he was born March 16, 1888 and died in May 1970 in The Dalles, Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Fred Tooley Photograph Collection consists of photographs assembled by Tooley during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) in 1910-1911 and of the 25th and 50th reunions of the Class of 1911 in 1936 and 1961. The photographs include images of a study desk, probably in a dormitory room. Tooley and his mother are shown in 1911 after commencement on a boardwalk southeast of campus; Education Hall and the Gymnasium (now Gymnastics Training Center) are in the background of this image. Campus views depict cadets in an OAC formation; Agriculture Hall, the Bandstand, and the Pharmacy Building (Alpha Hall); lower campus and the fountain; the Armory (McAlexander Fieldhouse); and Waldo Hall. Of special note is an image of the Mechanical Arts Building (Merryfield Hall) that also depicts the Horticulture Building (and greenhouses) and the heating tower. A photograph of the 1910 commencement exercises in the Armory (McAlexander Fieldhouse) is included. One image shows the seniors entering the Gymnasium for the alumni banquet and another depicts the banquet underway in the interior of the Gymnasium in 1911
The collection includes several group photographs: juniors on junior flunk day in spring of 1910; Class of 1911 graduates in front of Benton Hall; and the Class of 1911 attendees at their 25th reunion in 1936 and the 50th reunion in 1961. Tooley's wife is also pictured in both the reunion photographs. The 50th reunion program is part of the collection and indicates that Tooley spoke on "Memories of College Days". The 1961 50th reunion photograph is available online in the Best of the Archives digital collection.
The postcard print of Waldo Hall was sent to Floyd Mason in Hood River, Oregon, from Joy (Tooley's wife) while she was an OAC student. The postcard of the Junior Flunk Day group was sent to Tooley's sister, Pearle Tooley, in Portland, Oregon with a note from Fred.
Most of the images are photographic postcards. G.C. Blakeley took the photograph of the 1911 graduates; Howells Studio made the 1936 reunion photograph. Photographers are not identified for the remainder of the images.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Fred Tooley Photograph Collection (P 278), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Class reunions--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College--Alumni and alumnae.
- Oregon State University--Alumni and alumnae.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Alumni and alumnae.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Buildings.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Photographic postcards.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Blakely, George C. (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- Howell's Studio. (creator)