Oliver Cowdrey papers, 1833-1838 PDF
- Cowdery, Oliver, 1806-1850
- Oliver Cowdrey papers
- 1833-1838 (inclusive)18331838
- 0.25 linear foot
- Collection Number
- The Oliver Cowdrey papers (1833-1838) consist of forty-six letters written by Cowdrey for himself or for others. Oliver Cowdrey (1806-1850) was one of six original members of the Church of Christ, later called the Church Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was a scribe to Joseph Smith.
- University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Photocopying is not permitted. Twenty-four hours advance notice encouraged. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Oliver Cowdrey (1806-1850) was one of the six original members of the Church of Christ which was organized in 1830. The full name was given in 1838 as the Church Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS Church). He is best known as the scribe of Joseph Smith but also played an important leadership role in the early LDS Church. He was a strong defender of the Book of Mormon and helped to select the Church's first twelve apostles. He later came into conflict with Joseph Smith and was excommunicated. For several years he was an attorney and lived in Ohio and in Wisconsin Territory. After Joseph Smith's death in 1844, Oliver Cowdrey returned to the LDS Church but died in Richmond, Missouri, before he could go west to Salt Lake City.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Oliver Cowdrey papers (1833-1838) consist of photocopies of forty-six letters written by Cowdrey for himself or for other LDS Church leaders. Also included are typed transcriptions of the letters and an index. The original letters are located in the Huntington Library in California.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Letters and Index||1833-1838|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Mormon Church--History--19th century
- Personal Names :
- >Williams, Frederick Granger, 1787-1842--Correspondence
- Hyde, Orson, 1805-1878--Correspondence
- Phelps, William Wines, 1792-1872--Correspondence
- Rigdon, Sidney, 1793-1876--Correspondence
- Smith, Joseph, 1805-1844--Correspondence
- Whitemer, David, 1805-1888--Correspondence
- Whitney, Newel K.--Correspondence
- Titles within the Collection :
- Book of Commandments
- Pearl of Great Price