Wylie Permanent Camping Company Yellowstone Lake Tourist Register, 1904-1909 PDF
- Wylie Permanent Camping Company
- Wylie Permanent Camping Company Yellowstone Lake Tourist Register
- 1 volume
- Collection Number
- Collection 2572, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Wylie Permanent Camping Company Yellowstone Lake Tourist Register dates from June 18, 1904 through September 10, 1909. The ledger contains the signatures of guests who stayed at the facility. The first thirty-six pages of the ledger were used as a scrapbook by a previous owner; what remains of the newspaper and magazine clipping fragments does not entirely obscure the handwritten entries.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
The Wylie Permanent Camping Company formed in 1905 with the purchase of the Wylie Camping Company concession of William Wallace Wylie by A.W. Miles and A.L. Smith. Wylie had been operating camps in Yellowstone National Park since the early 1880s. By 1915 Wylie Way operated numerous camps in the Park including one at Yellowstone Lake. After the 1916 season, the newly-formed Park Service decided that all of the camping companies would be merged into one company. The new company became under the ownership of the Shaw brothers and A.W. Miles and was known as the Yellowstone Park Camping Company. It was renamed in 1919 as the Yellowstone Park Camps Company.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Yellowstone Lake tourist register contains the signatures of guests who stayed at the facility from June 18, 1904 through September 10, 1909. The information also includes the home town and state of the visitor. The first thirty-six pages of the ledger were used as a scrapbook by a previous owner and the removal of the pasted material has been uneven. However, most of the newspaper and magazine clippings fragments that remain do not entirely obscure the handwritten entries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Camps -- Yellowstone National Park
- National park concessions
- National park concessions -- Yellowstone National Park
- Outdoor recreation
- Outdoor recreation -- Wyoming
- Tourism -- Yellowstone National Park
- Geographical Names :
- United States -- Yellowstone National Park
- Wyoming -- Yellowstone Lake
- Yellowstone Lake (Wyo.)
- Yellowstone National Park