Ter Ellingson recordings: 2004 Tribal Canoe Journeys, 2004-08 PDF
- Ellingson, Ter
- Ter Ellingson recordings: 2004 Tribal Canoe Journeys
- 1 optical media : EC - 1 DVD (digital, stereo); Duration: 1:01:16
- Collection Number
- Recording of the Tribal Canoe Journeys, a celebration of canoe culture by Coast Salish peoples from British Columbia, Oregon, and Washington. This recording was made on the beach at Ladysmith, British Columbia.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Ter Ellingson is Professor of Music and Adjunct Professor of Comparative Religion and South Asian Studies at the University of Washington. He holds an M.A., Religion, from the University of Chicago and a Ph.D., Anthropology/Buddhist Studies, from the University of Wisconsin. Ellingson's areas of specialization include Tibet, Nepal, Buddhist Cultures; Ritual, Symbolism, History, Notation/Transcription, Visual Media.
See https://music.washington.edu/people/ter-ellingson for more information.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Contents: Chapter 1: Arrival of canoes (00:00-14:41); Chapter 2: Songs (14:41-18:18); Chapter 3: Songs (18:18-25:18); Chapter 4: Speaker - Chief Dan George (Chief Seattle's speech) (25:18-44:32); Chapter 5: Speaker - Sean Atleo (co-chairman of the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council) (44:32:50:20); Chapter 6: Speaker (no picture) (50:20-61:16)
Total duration: 1:01:16
Documentation: Description of event from WaveLength Magazine (Oct.-Nov. 2004)
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 optical media : DVD - unpublished; Tracks: 6
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Northwest Salish
- NW Coast Indians
- Puget Sound Salish Indians
- Rites And Ceremonies
- Personal Names :
- Seattle, Chief, 1790-1866
- Corporate Names :
- Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council
- Tribal Journeys (Event)
- Geographical Names :
- Chemainus First Nation
- North America
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Video recordings