Office of the President: Charles Hiram Chapman records, 1893-1908 PDF
- Chapman, Charles Hiram, 1860-1934University of Oregon. Office of the President
- Office of the President: Charles Hiram Chapman records
- 1893-1908 (inclusive)18931908
- 1 linear feet, (1 containers)
- Collection Number
- UA 001.002
- Mathematician Charles Hiram Chapman served as President of the University of Oregon, 1893-1899, and taught mathematical physics at the university. Collection contains incoming inquires and correspondence of Charles Chapman during his presidency at the University of Oregon, 1893-1896.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Mathematician Charles Hiram Chapman served as President of the University of Oregon, 1893-1899, and taught mathematical physics at the university.
Chapman was involved in every level of decision-making at the university, from making substantial changes in the curriculum, adding biology; civil, mining, and electrical engineering; business classes; physical training; and controversial electives. Though not always popular with townspeople, he traveled the state, gaining support from citizens for higher education. He was known to be respected widely, but budget considerations often forced him to cut faculty salaries, making him less than popular on that front. Though this pressure finally brought about his resignation, his accomplishments, including a larger student body, a better-qualified faculty, an expanded library, and participation in intercollegiate athletics, moved the University of Oregon to the cusp of the twentieth century.
Source: "Presidential History" http://president.uoregon.edu/history
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection is organized by accession and includes, but is not limited to, the following material:
Accession 00009.A: Incoming inquires and correspondence of Charles Chapman during his presidency at the University of Oregon, 1893-1896.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Office of the President: Charles Hiram Chapman records, UA 001.2, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College presidents--Oregon--Eugene
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Personal Names :
- Chapman, Charles Hiram, 1860-1934--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- University of Oregon. Office of the President--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon--History--19th century
- Form or Genre Terms :