Bitterroot Market records, 1932-1999 PDF
- Bitterroot Market
- Bitterroot Market records
- 1932-1999 (inclusive)19321999
- 0.2 linear ft.
- Collection Number
- Mss 711
- This collection includes photos, receipts, and correspondence laying out the changes and challenges that Ernest Millikan and his family met as they ran the Bitterroot Market in Missoula, Montana, from 1932-1987.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Ernest Millikan opened the Bitter Root Market in 1932 at 801 South Higgins in Missoula, Montana. By the early 1960s, signs and advertising listed the store as the Bitterroot Market. By 1946 the market had a plant nursery in back and announced the opening of the Bitter Root Flower Shop. On June 3, 1987, the Bitterroot Market closed its doors after 55 years of business.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of photocopies of photos, receipts, and correspondence laying out the changes and challenges that Ernest Millikan and his family met as they ran the Bitterroot Market in Missoula, Montana, from 1932-1987. The photos with captions record the changes in the market while correspondence, receipts and legal documents indicate other aspects of the small business. Also included in this collection are photos of Ernest Millikan and his wife, Mary Louise (Peat) Millikan, their obituaries, their home, children, and a Peat family tree.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes.
[Name of document or photograph number], Bitterroot Market Records, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Family-owned business enterprises--Montana--Missoula
- Flower vending--Montana--Missoula
- Grocery trade--Montana--Missoula
- Personal Names :
- Millikan, Ernest, 1901-1977
- Millikan, Mary Louise Peat, d. 1972
- Corporate Names :
- Bitter Root Flower Shop (Missoula, Mont.)
- Family Names :
- Milligan family
- Millikan family
- Peat family
- Peet family
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Business records--Montana--Missoula
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Bitterroot Market (Missoula, Mont.)