Roland G. Holmes Collection of Oregon and Washington Postcards, 1920-1939 PDF
- Holmes, Roland G.
- Roland G. Holmes Collection of Oregon and Washington Postcards
- 1920-1939 (inclusive)19201939
- 0.05 cubic foot, including 66 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- P 283
- The Roland G. Holmes Collection of Oregon and Washington Postcards consists of photographic and picture postcards as well as some photographic prints of Oregon and Washington scenes. About a third of the images are of the Columbia River Gorge.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
A detailed list of all the items in the collection was prepared by Zoe Ann Holmes and is available online and with the photographs.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Roland Gail Holmes was the son of Sylvester (Jake) Holmes; a native of Kansas, Holmes died in 1994. He was the father of Zoe Ann Holmes, a Professor of Nutrition and Food Management at Oregon State University from 1974 until her retirement in 2002.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Roland G. Holmes Collection of Oregon and Washington Postcards consists of photographic and picture postcards as well as photographic prints of Oregon and Washington scenes. About a third of the images depict scenes of the Columbia River Gorge and Columbia River Highway, including waterfalls, Vista House, highway viewpoints, and Beacon Rock. Images of many other notable Oregon and Washington landmarks are part of the collection, including Mount Hood, Mount Rainier, and Three Sisters; Silver Creek Falls; Crater Lake; the Pacific Coast in Oregon and Washington; and the cities of Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington.
Most of the images of the Columia River Gorge and Highway were taken by Ralph I. Gifford; an image by Cross and Dimmitt is also included. The collection includes high-resolution digital images scanned from the postcards and photographic prints by Zoe Ann Holmes as well as an item-level list of the images with detailed descriptions.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Roland G. Holmes Collection of Oregon and Washington Postcards (P 283), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Waterfalls--Columbia River.
- Geographical Names :
- Cascade Range.
- Columbia River Gorge (Or. and Wash.)
- Columbia River Highway (Or.)
- Columbia River.
- Pacific Coast (Or.)
- Pacific Coast (Wash.)
- Portland (Or.)
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Compact discs.
- Digital images.
- Photographic postcards.
- Photographic prints.
- Picture postcards.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Gifford, Ralph I. (creator)
- Holmes, Zoe Ann, 1942- (creator)