Lewis and Edith Kandra Family Centennial Collection, 2011 PDF
- Kandra, Stephen L.
- Lewis and Edith Kandra Family Centennial Collection
- 2011 (inclusive)
- 0.08 linear feet, (3 folders)
- Collection Number
- The collection consists of materials gathered and produced by family members to celebrate the centennial of Lewis and Edith Kandra's arrival in the Klamath Basin. Lewis and Edith Kandra homesteaded in 1911 and built a successful farming and ranching business. Some of their descendents continue in the agriculture industry today.
- Oregon Institute of Technology Libraries, Shaw Historical Library
Oregon Institute of Technology Libraries
3201 Campus Drive
Klamath Falls, OR
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research use.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Lewis Kandra, a Czech immigrant, and his wife Edith arrived in the Klamath Basin from South Dakota in 1911. They homesteaded 160 un-irrigated acres near the southeastern edge of Lower Klamath Lake in California. Later they expanded their farming and ranching activities throughout the area of Merrill and Malin, Oregon and Tulelake, California. Their children and grandchildren have continued to farm in the area to the present day.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of materials gathered and produced by family members to celebrate the centennial of the arrival of Lewis and Edith Kandra in the Klamath Basin and the family’s subsequent history. Series I: Kandra Family Klamath Centennial includes the centennial invitation and program. Series II: Family History includes two booklets containing family history narratives, photocopies of family photographs and family genealogy charts. Series III: Family Homestead is a booklet with copies of family photographs, a description of an April 9, 2011 trip to the family homestead at Poverty Flat and copies of homestead documents.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Before materials from the Shaw Historical Library may be quoted in print or otherwise reproduced in whole or in part in any publication, exhibit, broadcast or other manner, the user must obtain permission from the owner of the physical property and the holder of the copyright. Copyright status for collections in the Shaw Historical Library varies. Reproduction of any item must contain a complete citation to the original. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
[item identification], Lewis and Edith Kandra Family Centennial Collection, The Shaw Historical Library, Oregon Institute of Technology, Klamath Falls, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I: Kandra Family Klamath CentennialReturn to Top
Invitation and Event Schedule
Kandra Family Klamath Centennial booklet
Jerry Snapp and JoAnne "Chuckie" Kandra Snapp (creator)
Series II: Family HistoryReturn to Top
Memories: Fond memories of growing up in Merrill, Oregon and the Klamath Basin
JoAnne (Kandra) Snapp (creator)
Winema Hunting Lodge
Susan and Chris Kandra (creator)
Series III: Family HomesteadReturn to Top
Lewis and Edith Kandra Poverty Flat Homestead
Stephen L. Kandra (creator)
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.)
- Personal Names :
- Kandra, Stephen L.--Archives
- Geographical Names :
- Klamath County (Or.)--History
- Malin (Or.)—History
- Merrill (Or.)--History