Fred Deininger Luse Photograph Album, 1908-1910 PDF
- Luse, F. D. (Fred Deininger)
- Fred Deininger Luse Photograph Album
- 1908-1910 (inclusive)19081910
- 0.1 cubic feet, including 101 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- P 228
- The Fred Deininger Luse Photograph Album consists primarily of images collected by Luse while attending Oregon Agricultural College in the early years of the twentieth century. The images document campus buildings and grounds as well as student activities. Luse graduated from Oregon Agricultural College in 1909 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for initial encoding of this finding aid in 2004 was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Fred D. Luse, of Lents, Oregon, attended Oregon Agricultural College and graduated in 1909 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. He was active in a variety of student activities including the Zetegathian Literary Society, English Association, Glee Club, Society Debating Team, Prohibition Oratorical Contest and College Orator. He also served as the Y.M.C.A. Vice President, Associate Editor of the NW Journal of English and as Captain of ROTC Company G. After graduating he worked as Secretary of the Fresno, California and Chicago, Illinois Y.M.C.A.s, then for Forbes Supply Co. in Portland, Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Fred Deininger Luse Photograph Album consists of photographic prints, primarily photographic postcards, collected and assembled by Fred D. Luse, that document campus buildings and grounds and student activities during Luse's years at Oregon Agricultural College. The album includes numerous images of individual campus buildings as well as several campus views. Several of the photographs of campus scenes are panoramic views. Of special note are images of the original Pharmacy Building that was previously known as Alpha Hall and a view of the construction of the new Armory (McAlexander Fieldhouse). An interior view of the old armory (now the Gymnastics Training Center) decorated for the 1908 commencement ceremony is included.
The album includes several photographs of snow on campus in January 1909. Two images of Main Street (2nd Street) in Corvallis are included as well as the board walk on the south approach to the Marys River Bridge. Luse annotated an image of the kitchen staff at Cauthorn Hall with the caption, "Life saving crew". Several images of military cadet training are part of the album as well as photographs of the 1908 May Day festivities. Athletic teams and events are depicted in the album and include football, baseball, and track. A photograph of world champion hurdler, F.C. Smithson, is part of the album.
One image of Albany College (in Albany, Oregon) is included in the album. Multiple images of Stanford University, and views of Fresno, Herndon and Palo Alto, California were assembled during Luse's years of employment in Fresno, California.
Several of the photographs in the album are available online in Oregon Digital.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Fred Deininger Luse Photograph Album (P 228), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College sports--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Military education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Albany College (Albany, Or.)
- Oregon Agricultural College. Cadet Corps.
- Stanford University.
- Geographical Names :
- Corvallis (Or.)
- Fresno (Calif.)
- Marys Peak (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photograph albums.
- Photographic prints.