Klamath Commandos Scrapbooks, 1942-1944 PDF
- Klamath Commandos
- Klamath Commandos Scrapbooks
- 1942-1944 (inclusive)19421944
- 1.5 linear feet (three boxes)
- Collection Number
- SHL006 (collection)
- The Klamath Commandos was a private, womens military support organization operating in Klamath Falls, Oregon during World War II. The collection consists of three organizational scrapbooks.
- Oregon Institute of Technology Libraries, Shaw Historical Library
Oregon Institute of Technology Libraries
3201 Campus Drive
Klamath Falls, OR
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research use.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Klamath Commandos was a private, womens military support organization operating in Klamath Falls, Oregon from June 1942 to September 1944. Members were young women, aged 18 to 28, with a family member in the armed services. Until a USO branch was established in Klamath Falls in 1944, this nationally-recognized organization provided hospitality and entertainment activities for servicemen traveling through in convoys and on troop trains. Two major activities were operation of their Service Center and the Wounded Servicemens Project, which aimed at meeting social needs of soldiers transported to Klamath Falls from military hospitals within 500 miles.
The organization was disbanded when the establishment of the Klamath Falls Marine Barracks and the Naval Air Station brought larger numbers of servicemen to the area than the organization could support.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of three organizational scrapbooks. Materials include correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, magazine articles, and memorabilia about the activities of the organization. Significant activities documented include the founding of the organization, building of its Service Center, development of the Wounded Servicemens Project, and the launching of the tanker S.S. Klamath Falls in Portland, Oregon. Soldiers' war experiences are also included.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Before materials from the Shaw Historical Library may be quoted in print or otherwise reproduced in whole or in part in any publication, exhibit, broadcast or other manner, the user must obtain permission from the owner of the physical property and the holder of the copyright. Copyright status for collections in the Shaw Historical Library varies. Reproduction of any item must contain a complete citation to the original. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
[item identification], Klamath Commandos Scrapbooks, The Shaw Historical Library, Oregon Institute of Technology, Klamath Falls, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Klamath Falls (Or.)
- Soldiers -- Recreation -- United States -- History.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- United States.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States.