Hiromi Lorraine Sakata recordings: Nuristani music from Afghanistan, 1972 PDF
- Sakata, Hiromi Lorraine
- Hiromi Lorraine Sakata recordings: Nuristani music from Afghanistan
- 2 audiotapes : EC-1 reel (7.5 ips, 2 tr., stereo); WT-1 reel (7.5 ips, 2 tr., stereo, 7"); Duration: 00:32:13
- Collection Number
- Audio recordings made by a Peace Corps friend of Lorraine and Tom Sakata, early September 1972 in village of Akun or Kunigal, the Darya Waigul, Kunar.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
From her professional bio:
"Hiromi Lorraine Sakata is the author of Music in the Mind: The Concepts of Music and Musician in Afghanistan (Kent State University Press, 1983 and reissued by Smithsonian Institution Press, 2002) and Afghanistan Encounters with Music and Friends (Mazda Publications 2013). She is producer of Ustad Mohammad Omar: Virtuoso from Afghanistan (Smithsonian Folkways, 2002). Her other publications focus on devotional music of Pakistan, in particular, the music at Sufi shrines in Pakistan. Sakata taught in the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington for twenty years before joining the UCLA faculty. She was made an Honorary Member of the Society for Ethnomusicology in 2012."
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Archives copy dubbed on May 10, 1973 from C-90 cassette (Sakatas' copy of original) to Stellavox.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Nuristani (Asian people)
- Geographical Names :
- Afghanistan--Asia--Central Asia
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound recordings