Dona Dinsdale Papers, 1943-1947 PDF
- Dinsdale, Dona.
- Dona Dinsdale Papers
- 1943-1947 (inclusive)19431947
- 0.9 cubic foot, including 3 photographs, (3 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Dinsdale
- The Dona Dinsdale Papers consist of materials created and assembled by Dinsdale during her student years at Oregon State College, during and immediately following World War II. The collection consists predomininantly of course materials and also includes letters written by Dinsdale to her parents. Dona Dinsdale enrolled at Oregon State College in 1943 and earned a BS in Secretarial Science in 1947.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Dona Shirley Dinsdale earned a BS in Secretarial Science from Oregon State College in 1947. Dinsdale graduated from Washington High School in Portland, Oregon, in June 1943 and enrolled at Oregon State in the fall of that year. She was a member of the Sigma Kappa sorority.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Dona Dinsdale Papers document Dinsdale's student years at Oregon State College from 1943 to 1947, during and immediately following World War II. The collection includes course materials, correspondence, publications, ephemera and photographs. Course materials -- including course outlines, class notes, term papers, book reports, and examinations --- comprise the bulk of the collection. Materials from courses on modern Russia, clothing selection, house furnishings, European literature, Latin American relations, psychology, secretarial science, and business law are represented in the collection. The Office Procedure Laboratory Guide, published by the Oregon State College Secretarial Science Department for use in Secretarial Science 311 and 312, is available in the collection.
Of special note are Dinsdale's materials for a Clothing Selection course (CT 217) that include drawings by Dinsdale as well as a scrapbook that Dinsdale assembled for a House Furnishings class (CT 331). The scrapbook includes examples of housing styles and a proposed plan with recommended furnishings for a family home; Dinsdale used illustrations clipped from magazines and fabric samples in the scrapbook. A personal portfolio prepared by Dinsdale for job applications includes a handwriting sample, a summary of her activities and academic record, a skills rating, letters of recommendation, and a portrait photograph.
The correspondence consists of letters written by Dinsdale to her parents from 1943 to 1947. In these letters, Dinsdale describes her daily life at Oregon State including sorority pledging and events, travelling on the bus to and from Corvallis, college expenses, tickets for the graduation ceremony, campus events, clothes needed for various occassions, receiving guests, letter writing, and class assignments.
The Papers include several issues of the Oregon Stater alumni magazine, the Beaver Snuffer monthly magazine for November 1946 and February 1947, the annual college fashion previews published by the Meier and Frank Company, and Preview for Fall 1945. A summer newsletter from the secretarial science program, event programs, newspaper clippings, a decal and pennant, grade reports, receipts, and student identification cards are part of the collection. Dinsdale's Oregon State diploma is also included.
The photographs consist of one portrait photograph in her portfolio; a graduation portrait photograph of Dinsdale in her cap and gown, made by Hise Studio; and a group photograph of the senior graduating class of the Upsilon Chapter of Sigma Kappa Sorority taken in front of the chapter house on graduation day, June 8, 1947.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Dona Dinsdale Papers (MSS Dinsdale), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Business education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College environment--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Hise Studio. (photographer)
- Oregon State College. Department of Secretarial Science. (creator)