Charles Feller papers, 1916-1957 PDF
- Feller, Charles, 1889-1966
- Charles Feller papers
- 1916-1957 (inclusive)19161957
- 7.0 linear feet, (5 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 320
- Charles Feller (1889-1966) became an Oregon fish merchant and wholesaler in Marshfield and Coos Bay, Oregon and established the Charles Feller Company which traded world-wide in canned, smoked, and frozen fish. The collection contains company records including ledgers, journals, and account books, fish catch books, commercial and personal correspondence, Charleston, Oregon harbor improvement files, and scrapbooks.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Charles Feller (1889-1966) was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and came to Oregon via Canada in 1915. He became a fish merchant and wholesaler in Marshfield and Coos Bay, Oregon. He began by selling his wares door-to-door and then eventually established the Charles Feller Company which traded world-wide in canned, smoked, and frozen fish.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains company records including ledgers, journals, and account books, fish catch books, commercial and personal correspondence, Charleston, Oregon harbor improvement files, and scrapbooks.
The records of the company include ledgers (1916-1919, 1922, 1926), journals (1916-1919), account books (1936-1953) and fish catch record books (1917-1921, 1924-1957).
There is also minor commercial and personal correspondence, some of which deals with the Commercial Fisheries Association of Oregon, of which Feller was president. One letter file deals with improvement of the moorage and harbor facilities of Charleston, Oregon.
Three scrapbooks concern the fish business, controversy between commercial and sports fishermen, and Feller's community service.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Charles Feller papers, Ax 320, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Canned fish industry--Oregon--Coos Bay
- Fisheries--Oregon--Coos Bay
- Fishing and Canning
- Merchants--Oregon--Coos Bay
- Personal Names :
- Feller, Charles, 1889-1966
- Corporate Names :
- Charles Feller Company--Records and correspondence.
- Commercial Fisheries Association of Oregon.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books
- Financial records
- Journals (accounts)