Laurel Sercombe concert recordings: Global Music Festival 1988, 1988-05-21 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Laurel Sercombe concert recordings: Global Music Festival 1988
- 6 items : Original tape (OT) - 1 VHS (digital audio recording, SP, stereo); Earliest copies (EC) - 4 open reels (7.5 ips, stereo, 1/2 track, 7 in.); Working tape (WT) - 1 DAT (digital, stereo)
- Collection Number
- Recordings of the 1988 Global Music Festival, recorded by Laurel Sercombe at the University of Washington's Kane Hall, Roethke Auditorium, 1988 May 21.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Laurel Sercombe has been the Archivist for the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington since 1982. She has co-produced a series of music recordings with Northwest Folklife, lectured for classes in Ethnomusicology, Library and Information Science, and American Indian Studies, and designed and taught a course on sound archiving. In 1998 she received a pre-doctoral Smithsonian Research Fellowship and in 2001 received her Ph.D. with the dissertation And Then It Rained: Power and Song in Western Washington Coast Salish Myth Narratives. She is a member of the Music Library Association, the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and the Society for Ethnomusicology, for which she served as Current Discographer 1992–2000 and Treasurer 2000–2004. She serves on the boards of Jack Straw Productions and Northwest Heritage Resources. In 2013 she organized and hosted "Sounds of the World," a series of six programs for UWTV featuring film footage from the Robert Garfias Collection in the Ethnomusicology Archives.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Original digital audio tape recorded by Laurel Sercombe for Archives.
Performers: Yeni Ses: Sedat Uysal/vocal, baglama; Bob Beer/vocal, cura, baglama, divan sazi, kemence; Kim Goldschmidt/kabak kemane, darabuka; Sonia Seeman/clarinet, kasik; Vietnamese ensemble: Phong Nguyen/dan tranh, dan nguyet; Thu Van/vocal; Andrew Frankel/daiko; Sukutai (music of Zimbabwe): Laura Chiorah-Dye; Dumi Maraire, Jr.; Danai maraire; Tendai Maraire; Lolita Lincoln; Shelton Kapenda; Janet Taylor; Patty Petesch; Sam Chiorah; Kevin Howard.
See logsheets for contents listing.
Durations of analog reels in EC set: 34:46, 40:14, 45:58, 3:39.
Duration (WT): 2:02:04.
Documentation: Flyer, press release, poster, ticket price list.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Original copiesReturn to Top
Earliest copiesReturn to Top
Working tapesReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Shona--Africa--Southern Africa
- Turks--Middle East--Middle East
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Vietnamese--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Geographical Names :
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Chiorah, Lorah (performer)
- Nguyễn, Phong (performer)
- Ses, Yeni (performer)
- Uysal, Sedat (performer)
- Van, Thu (performer)
- Corporate Names :
- Sukutai (Musical group) (performer)