Laurel Sercombe concert recordings: Sachdev/Flute, 1987-03-14 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Laurel Sercombe concert recordings: Sachdev/Flute
- 8 items : Original tapes (OT) - 2 VHS (digital audio recording, SP, stereo); Earliest copies (EC) - 4 open reels (7 1/2 ips, stereo, 1/2 tracks, 7 in.); Working tapes (WT) - 2 DATs (digital, stereo)
- Collection Number
- Concert recorded at the University of Washington in Kane Hall, Room 210, 1987 March 14; co-sponsored by the UW Ethnomusicology Division and Ragamala. Recorded by Laurel Sercombe.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Laurel Sercombe has been the Archivist for the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington since 1982. She has co-produced a series of music recordings with Northwest Folklife, lectured for classes in Ethnomusicology, Library and Information Science, and American Indian Studies, and designed and taught a course on sound archiving. In 1998 she received a pre-doctoral Smithsonian Research Fellowship and in 2001 received her Ph.D. with the dissertation And Then It Rained: Power and Song in Western Washington Coast Salish Myth Narratives. She is a member of the Music Library Association, the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and the Society for Ethnomusicology, for which she served as Current Discographer 1992–2000 and Treasurer 2000–2004. She serves on the boards of Jack Straw Productions and Northwest Heritage Resources. In 2013 she organized and hosted "Sounds of the World," a series of six programs for UWTV featuring film footage from the Robert Garfias Collection in the Ethnomusicology Archives.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Equipment used: Panasonic NV-8410; Sony PCM-F1 digital audio processor; 2 Neumann KM-83 mics (omnis) (no speaker monitor used - recording mics were close in to flute and about two feet apart).
Recordist: Laurel Sercombe for Archives.
Performers: Sachdev, G.S./flute; Choudhuri, Swapan/tabla; Jackson, Katherine/sruti box; Masterson, Rick/tanpura.
Durations of analog reel copies: 35:40; 33:30; 45:39; 27:20.
Duration (WT): 2:19:56.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Original tapesReturn to Top
87-7.1: VHS 1
87-7.2: VHS 2
Earliest copiesReturn to Top
87-7.3: Reel 1
87-7.4: Reel 2
87-7.5: Reel 3
87-7.6: Reel 4
Working tapesReturn to Top
87-7.1: DAT 1
87-7.2: DAT 2
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Geographical Names :
- India--Asia--South Asia
- North India
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Chaudhuri, Swapan (performer)
- Sachdev, G.S. (performer)