Crane Townsite Company Records, 1911-1916 PDF
- Crane Townsite Company.
- Crane Townsite Company Records
- 1911-1916 (inclusive)19111916
- .45 cubic feet (1 document case)
- Collection Number
- Mss 2496
- Records of a land company of Harney County, Oregon, containing sketch of individual section topography and names of purchasers.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Located in Harney County, Oregon, the community of Crane was named after nearby Crane Creek. The first post office was established in 1895 but discontinued in 1903, to be re-established in 1916. At that time a railroad was completed linking Crane to Ontario, and Crane became an important livestock shipping point. The Crane town site was located on the land grant of the Willamette Valley and Cascade Mountain Wagon Road.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains records on individual sections within the Crane townsite, providing colored maps with details of topography. Also included is a ledger book listing purchasers of lots and accounts.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Crane Townsite Company records, Mss2496, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Loose-leaf binder pages with data on sections||circa 1911|
|2||Land examination book with data on section||circa 1911-1916|
|3||Ledger book with land sales and other accounts||undated|
|4||Cover of loose-leaf binder||undated|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Land companies--Oregon--Harney County--History.
- Land subdivision--Oregon--Harney County--History.
- Corporate Names :
- Crane Townsite Company. (creator)
- Geographical Names :
- Crane (Or.)--History.
- Harney County (Or.)--History.
- Willamette Valley and Cascade Mountain Wagon Road (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Property records.