Robert Graves notebook, 1908-1909 PDF
- Graves, Robert, 1895-1985
- Robert Graves notebook
- 1908-1909 (inclusive)19081909
- Single item.
- Collection Number
- Mss 552
- Notebook written by Graves while a young schoolboy at Copthorne School, Sussex.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and the University of Montana--Missoula.
- Greek, Latin, English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert (Von Ranke) Graves was born in London in 1895. He attended King's College School and Rokeby School, Wimbledon, Copthorne School, Sussex, Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey, 1907-14. In 1926, he received a B. Litt. From St. John's College, Oxford. He was the author of poetry, fiction, nonfiction, autobiographies, historical novels, essays, librettos, criticism, short stories, and children’s books. Graves also translated and edited a number of works. He died in 1985 in Deya, Majorca, Spain.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Notebook written by Graves while a young schoolboy at Copthorne School, Sussex. Contains Latin verse translations from English, poems (text in Graves' hand), several Latin prose translations from English, exercises and notes on Latin and Greek grammar and usage. Hectograph pages mainly in the hand of B.H. Rendall, headmaster of Copthorne School, except for the notes on Greek prepositions, which are in the hand of E.S. Workman, MA, Seminar Master, are inserted on pages facing those of Graves.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to the University of Montana. Copyright to Graves’ materials is administered by A. P. Watt Ltd, 20 John Street, London WC1N 2DR UK.
Robert Graves Notebook, Archives and Special Collections, The University of Montana—Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Greek language--Study and teaching -- England -- Copthorne.
- Greek language--Problems, exercises, etc.
- Latin language--Study and teaching -- England -- Copthorne.
- Latin language--Problems, exercises, etc.
- Personal Names :
- Graves, Robert, 1895- --Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.
- Graves, Robert, 1895-1985—Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.
- Corporate Names :
- Copthorne School (Copthorne, England)--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- School notebooks--England--Copthorne.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Rendall, Bernard H.
- Workman, E. Skeete (Ernest Skeete)