Murphy-Worden and Company (Missoula, Mont.) Records, 1893-1902 PDF
- Murphy-Worden and Company (Missoula, Mont.)
- Murphy-Worden and Company (Missoula, Mont.) Records
- 1893-1902 (inclusive)18931902
- 3.5 linear feet (9 volumes)
- Collection Number
- Mss 568 (collection)
- Murphy-Worden and Company was a Missoula, Montana, dry goods and grocery store. This collection is comprised of nine bound store registers dating between 1893 and 1902. These registers overlap dates and primarily track patron account status with few details regarding the nature of items purchased.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana--Missoula.
- Funding for creating this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historic Publications and Records Commission. Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Murphy-Worden and Company was formed in June 1886, when Worden and Company (a grocery) merged with Murphy, Hart and Company (a general merchandiser). The merged company was owned and operated by Frank L. Worden, Christopher P. Higgins, William C. Murphy, and J. L. Hart. The company sold dry goods, clothes, and groceries at the store formerly run by Murphy, Hart and Company (217 N. Higgins Ave.). In February 1890, Murphy-Worden and Company dropped the dry goods line. In 1902, the Murphy-Worden Company was replaced by Murphy-Greenough and Company, which continued exclusively as a grocery store in the same location.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection is comprised of nine bound store registers dating between 1893 and 1902. These registers overlap dates and primarily track patron account status with few details regarding the nature of items purchased. Though each volume was assigned a general descriptor during original archival processing, the volumes do not provide enough detailed information to clarify the relationship between each volume. It is possible that some volumes were used to track transactions for different departments within the Murphy-Worden Company but this assertion cannot be verified.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.
[Volume Title], Murphy-Worden and Company Records, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana--Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I: Financial Records , 1893-1902Return to Top
This series includes general financial records detailing daily transactions and cumulative account status. All volumes exhibit accounting shorthand practices and most detail credits, debits, salaries, and expenses by individual/company name. Accounts Receivable Ledgers record purchases with the price of items and method of payment. Volume 8 is a continuation of records in volumes 5, 6, and 7 for client records that exceeded the number of pages originally allocated in the earlier volumes.
|1898-12-01 - 1902-08-31|
Envelope with miscellaneous receipts (laundry, out, etc.) inserted into front cover.
|1898-07-01 - 1902-08-31|
Loose sheets titled "FINAL BALANCES" inside of front cover.
|1893-09-01 - 1902-07-31|
Alphabetical Index to General Ledger (volume 3)
Accounts Receivable Ledger, A - K
|1896-10-01 - 1899-02-28|
Accounts Receivable Ledger, L - Z
|1896-10-01 - 1899-02-28|
Accounts Receivable Ledger, A - Z
|1899-03-01 - 1901-04-30|
Accounts Receivable Ledger
|1898-12-01 - 1902-03-31|
|1899-12-01 - 1901-05-31|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Grocery trade--Montana--Missoula
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Business records--Montana--Missoula