New Freedom Singers Sound Recordings, Circa 1966-1985 PDF
- New Freedom Singers
- New Freedom Singers Sound Recordings
- Circa 1966-1985 (inclusive)19661985
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 box) : 4 LPs
- Collection Number
- Phonograph records created by the New Freedom Singers, a Whitman College student Christian choir
- Whitman College and Northwest Archives
Whitman College and Northwest Archives
Penrose Library, Room 130
345 Boyer Avenue
Walla Walla, WA
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The New Freedom Singers were founded at Whitman College in 1966. Self-described as an “interdenominational” and “non-affiliated” Christian folk music group, the New Freedom Singers performed not only on the Whitman College campus, but also in churches, schools, and other venues throughout the Pacific Northwest. The group’s members numbered between twelve and sixteen. Sometime in the mid 1980s, the group ceased to exist.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of four 33 1/3 LP albums recorded by the New Freedom Singers. Each album consists of twelve to fifteen songs, including some original songs written by members if the group. The collection also includes the covers for the four albums, which feature photographs of the group.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. Copyright not transferred to Whitman College.
New Freedom Singers Sound Recordings, Whitman College and Northwest Archives.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
|1/1||"For You"||circa 1970|
|1/3||"Life Sweet Love"||circa 1966|
|1/4||"Water for a Weary World"||1983|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Contemporary Christian Music
- Corporate Names :
- Whitman College--New Freedom Singers
- Whitman College--Students
- Geographical Names :
- Walla Walla, Wash.--History
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings