Associated General Contractors of America. Oregon-Columbia Chapter records, 1929-1961 PDF
- Associated General Contractors of America. Oregon-Columbia Chapter
- Associated General Contractors of America. Oregon-Columbia Chapter records
- 1929-1961 (inclusive)19291961
- 48 linear feet, (32 containers) : 32 record storage boxes
- Collection Number
- Bx 109
- The Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), Oregon-Columbia chapter was created in 1922 as a representative association for Oregon and Southwest Washington workers in the construction industry. The collection (1929-1961) contains correspondence and documents relating to labor negotiations and agreements, labor legislation, and the internal affairs of the association.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNARRANGED COLLECTION. UNAVAILABLE FOR USE. For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), Oregon-Columbia chapter was created in 1922 as a representative association for Oregon and Southwest Washington workers in the construction industry. Dues-paying members receive services such as health insurance, pension plans, training programs, and labor relations assistance.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains correspondence and documents relating to labor negotiations and agreements, labor legislation, and the internal affairs of the association.
Material includes negotiation and agreement documents, correspondence and other negotiation working papers for unions and groups such as Allied Heavy Construction and Highway Crafts (1951-1958), International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders and Helpers (1949-1957), United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America (1948-1958), Cement Masons (1953-1959), Ironworkers (1947-1958), Masters, Mates and Pilots of America (1954-1964), Pile Drivers (1945-1957), and Teamsters (1945-1961) among many others. Files are organized by group name.
There are also files on labor strikes that include correspondence, settlement attempt documents, releases, charges, reports, and unemployment compensation hearing material.
There is another file group containing negotiations, agreements, and correspondence for AGC-Oregon agreements with other private contractor's associations such as Columbia Basin Contractors, Longview-Kelso Contractors Assn., and the Association of Oregon County Engineers and Surveyors. Files are organized by group name.
AGC-Oregon also entered into agreements with state and federal agencies and there is a file group that contains the correspondence, reports, and negotiation working papers related to those agreements. Files are organized first by state (Oregon, Washington and California) and then by agency such as the Oregon State Highway Department and the Washington Department of Labor and Industries. Federal files include the Corps of Engineers and the Bureau of Public Roads.
The Pacific Northwest Development Association file group contains publicity and releases by the association, as well as correspondence with AGC-Oregon (1946-1953).
Labor and wage agreement files contains correspondence for dam, bridge and hydroelectric projects such as Bull Run Dam, Interstate Bridge, and Swift Hydroelectric. Files are also available for AGC-Oregon agreements and negotiations with unions and councils. Material includes labor agreements, questionnaires, working papers from meetings, and chapter policy papers.
Predeterminations for projects - wages files contain correspondence, requests, and information on predeterminations for states, dams, and U.S. Engineers.
There is a group of folders arranged in chronological order (1936-1959) that contain agreements, negotiations and proposals.
Wage and labor committee files contain material relating to compensation and welfare and include correspondence, worksheets, negotiations, and request, protest, and decision information.
There is also a file group concerning agreements between AGC-Oregon and other AGC chapters that are organized by state name.
Legislative committee files of 1958-1961 are included along with other state and federal legislation related files that are organized by title. Files include the Fair Workman's Compensation Committee, Columbia Valley Authority, and the Motorcarrier Highway Transportation Tax Act.
Inter-AGC-Oregon material includes membership information, committee and meeting minutes including the Board of Director's, regional, and branch group meetings, conference and visit materials, and financial records.
Printed material includes Board meeting booklets (1936-1956), convention and annual meeting reports, AGC newsletters and bulletins, regulations, and clippings.
There is a separate section of AGC-Oregon correspondence that includes outgoing mail (1948-1962) mainly from the office of A. H. Harding (manager), and files of correspondence arranged chronologically from 1946-1961.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
[Identification of item], Associated General Contractors of America, Oregon-Columbia Chapter records, Bx 109, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Collective bargaining--Construction industry--Oregon
- Collective bargaining--Construction industry--Washington (State)
- Collective labor agreements--Construction industry--Oregon
- Collective labor agreements--Construction industry--Washington (State)
- Construction industry--Employees--Legal status, laws, etc.--Oregon
- Construction industry--Employees--Legal status, laws, etc.--Washington (State)
- Construction workers--Labor unions--Law and legislation--Oregon
- Construction workers--Labor unions--Law and legislation--Washington (State)
- Labor disputes--Oregon
- Labor disputes--Washington (State)
- Labor laws and legislation--Oregon
- Labor laws and legislation--Washington (State)
- Labor unions--Oregon
- Labor unions--Washington (State)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Administrative records
- Legal documents