Unifine Milling Company Records, 1949-1996 PDF
- Unifine Milling Company
- Unifine Milling Company Records
- 2 containers., (1.5 linear feet of shelf space.)
- Collection Number
- Cage 691
- The records of the Unifine Milling Company of Pullman, Washington include correspondence, photographs, and plans related to the development of the unifine process at Washington State University in addition to the company's own operating records. The collection also includes files created by Clarice McCartan, one of the shareholders of the mill. The unifine process of milling flour was the idea of an Englishman, John Wright, who brought the process to Washington State University for experimentation and further development in the late 1940s.
- Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research use.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Unifine process of milling flour was the idea of an Englishman, John Wright. This process of milling flour produced a whole wheat flour with a lengthier period of rancid-free storage than ordinary whole wheat flour. Moreover, the flour had baking properties similar to enriched white flour. Wright approached the Washington State College Division of Industrial Research with his idea in the late 1940s, and period of experimentation with the mill soon began. The mill could not be patented, but Washington State College controlled the registration of the name "Unifine" until 1975.
One commercial application of the unifine technology was the Unifine Milling Company of Pullman. In 1981 this company began producing flour for sale to the public under the name "Flourgirls." This firm continued in operation until about 1995.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records the Unifine Milling Co. consist both of company records (meeting minutes, correspondence, financial statements, and marketing reports), along with correspondence, photographs, and plans related to the development of the unifine mill at Washington State College. Additional Unifine Milling Company records stand separate from the larger body of records because these originally were the files of Clarice McCartan, one of the shareholders.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Item Description]. Cage 691, Unifine Milling Company Records. Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series 1: Research and development - Unifine processReturn to Top
Unifine mill inquiries
(RP 121/6 [original filing code]) Unifine flour mill
Unifine experimental mill photographs
Trademark application and information
Series 2: Unifine Milling Company RecordsReturn to Top
Minutes, Board of Directors
Artwork for flour bag
Unifine Flour: Twenty Five Years Later-Mary Corbett Stevens
Feature stories (source material)
Bindered material (Marketing, finances, minutes, correspondence)
Minutes, marketing, finance, correspondence, photograph of owners
Minutes, marketing, finance, correspondence, bylaws
Series 3: Records kept by Clarise McCartanReturn to Top
Minutes: Management team, Board
Minutes: Management team, Board
Contacts for buying/distributing Flourgirls flour
Product information about Flourgirls flour, business cards
Cookbook - Draft and early ideas
Shareholder memos and correspondence
Handwritten business notes
Letters to and from Clarice McCartan
Letters to or concerning Mary Stevens
Finances and Treasurer's reports
Oversize itemsReturn to Top
Unifine Mill plans
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Flour mills--Washington (State)
- Flour mills--Washington (State)--Pullman--Records and correspondence
- Unifine flour
- Personal Names :
- McCartan, Clarice
- Corporate Names :
- Unifine Milling Company--Archives (creator)
- Unifine Milling Company--Washington (State)--Pullman