The Folklore of Birthday Celebrations, 1985 PDF
- Lande, Susanne
- The Folklore of Birthday Celebrations
- 0.02 linear feet
- Collection Number
- Susanne Lande was a student of folklore at the University of Oregon. This collection includes an essay and fieldwork documentation relating to this student's folklore fieldwork project.
- University of Oregon, Archives of Northwest Folklore
1287 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for access in accordance with Archives of Northwest Folklore policy.
- Publication of this finding aid was supported in whole or part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by Oregon State Library.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This project is a broadly. based comparative exploration of birthday rituals in many different cultural contexts via diverse representatives from the student body of the U. of O. The author concludes that birthday celebrations carry more weight in European traditions and that foodways are the most important and common factor in celebrations cross-culturally.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Collection is open for use in accordance with Archives of Northwest Folklore policy.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Project release form|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Birthday ceremonies
- birthday parties
- Cultural comparisons
- Family traditions
- Geographical Names :
- Eugene (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Celebrations: year cycle ceremonies (birthdays)
- Family folklore
- Fieldwork project