To the Pioneers of Montana Autobiography, 1899 PDF
- Lyman, Lorenzo B.
- To the Pioneers of Montana Autobiography
- 1 item
- Collection Number
- Collection 0498, MtBC, us (collection)
- The To the Pioneers of Montana Autobiography consists of a typed transcription of Lyman's autobiography, told in the third person.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Lorenzo Branch Lyman was born in 1828 in New York State. He moved to Wisconsin and studied law. Lyman lived in California from 1849 to 1858, returned to Wisconsin, and in 1864 moved to Montana's Gallatin Valley. He later practiced law in Helena and served as register of the United States Land Office there from 1869 to 1875. Lyman married Mary E. Hawkins in Wisconsin in 1858 and she bore a daughter, Sylvia Rozeffie, in 1865, and a son, Hershel Branch, in 1867. After Mary's death in 1870, Lorenzo Lyman married Fannie A. Patterson in 1871. Fannie bore two boys: Rollin Arch in 1873, and Ocean Atlantis in 1875.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Typed transcription of Lyman's autobiography, told in the third person. Events described include: the Lyman family's intital settlement in Gallatin County, Montana Territory; early development of Lyman's land and water rights claim on Lyman Creek; interactions with Indians; hunting; and Lyman's appointment as the register of the land office in Helena.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Frontier and pioneer life--Montana--Gallatin County
- Hunting--Montana--Gallatin County
- Land tenure--Montana--Gallatin County
- Pioneers--Montana--Gallatin County Biography
- Water rights--Montana--Gallatin County
- Whites--Montana--Gallatin County--Relations with Indians
- Personal Names :
- Lyman, Lorenzo B. (Lorenzo Branch), 1828-1914
- Corporate Names :
- United States. Helena Land Office--Officials and employees Biography
- Geographical Names :
- Gallatin County (Mont.)--History--19th century
- Lyman Creek (Gallatin County, Mont.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Burlingame, Merrill G. (Merrill Gildea), 1901-1994