Allen Room Challenge autograph books, 2003-2018 PDF
- Allen Room Challenge autograph books
- 2003-2018 (inclusive)20032018
- 0.8 linear feet, (2 manuscript boxes)
- Collection Number
- This collection houses signatures and comments from winners of the Allen Room Challenge, a daily studying marathon among Whitman College students.
- Whitman College and Northwest Archives
Whitman College and Northwest Archives
Penrose Library, Room 130
345 Boyer Avenue
Walla Walla, WA
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Whitman College's Penrose Library was renovated in 2000. At that time, the Allen Reading Room on the library's main floor was named in recognition of a gift from the Paul G. Allen Charitable Foundation. Whitman College students use the Allen Room as quiet study space. After the library began staying open 24 hours a day during the academic year, an anonymous student created the Allen Room Challenge autograph book in February 2003. Students win the honor of signing the book by being the last person to leave the Allen Room on any given night.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of multiple items, bound volumes of signatures and comments written by Allen Room Challenge winners. Instructions in the front of the books instruct winners to sign their name, date, time they depart, and the professor for whose course they are studying. Many winners also write humorous reflections on their academic work, cramming for exams, and other aspects of student life and culture.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Washington (State)
- Corporate Names :
- Whitman College. Penrose Library