Allen Preparatory School baseball team photographs, 1905-1907 PDF
- Arthur B. McAlpin Studios
- Allen Preparatory School baseball team photographs
- 1905-1907 (inclusive)19051907
- 0.1 cubic feet, (1 folder in a shared document case)
- Collection Number
- Org. Lot 1409
- This collection features photographs of the Allen Preparatory School baseball team for the years 1905-1907. The school was a private college preparatory school in Portland, Oregon, from 1900 until 1934.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Mrs. Margaret Varty Allen taught in the Portland Public Schools from 1886 until 1900, when she was disqualified by the school board due to her marital status. Encouraged by the resulting public outrage, she formed her own small school, called "Mrs. Allen's School for Boys and Girls," which initially met in a small building near 4th and Main Streets. By 1909, 100 students attended her school, which had been renamed "Allen Preparatory School" and was located at East 12th and Salmon (whose building still stands at 1135 SE Salmon). For several decades, children were taught principally by the well-loved Mrs. Allen. In early 1927, however, Mrs. Allen became ill and died quite suddenly. A member of the school staff, W. H. Norris, took over direction of the school, and it remained open until 1934.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of three black and white photographic prints of the Allen Preparatory School's all-male baseball team for the years 1905 through 1907. The photographs were kept by Clarence W. Walls, a team member, and the individual baseball players are identified on the reverse side of the photographs.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society owns the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from copyright owners.
Allen Preparatory School baseball team photographs, Org. Lot 1409, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Baseball players--Oregon--Portland--1900-1910
- High school athletes--Oregon--Portland
- Corporate Names :
- Allen Preparatory School (Portland, Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :