UW Ethnomusicology Archives session recordings: Yunus Hussain Khan and Faiyaz Khan, 1986-06-09 PDF
- Neuman, Daniel M., 1944-; Ellingson, Ter; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives session recordings: Yunus Hussain Khan and Faiyaz Khan
- 11 items : Original tapes (OT) - 2 VHS (digital audio recordings, SP, stereo); Earliest copies (EC) - 5 open reels (7 1/2 ips, stereo, 2 tracks, 7 in.); WT - 2 DATs (digital, stereo); 2 WAV files (44.1 kHz, 16-bit)
- Collection Number
- Sessions recorded in the University of Washington Music Building, Room 35, on 1986 June 9. Collected by the university's Ethnomusicology Archives.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives has been collecting and curating unique ethnographic music recordings for over 50 years. Its holdings of more than 15,000 items include field recordings documenting music traditions of all kinds from most areas of the world, concert recordings of visiting musicians, and films and videos of a variety of musical events, as well as several hundred musical instruments. The Archives serves the students and faculty in the UW Ethnomusicology Program, the broader university community, Pacific Northwest tribes, and an international clientele of musicians, students, and teachers.
Archival recordings are available for on-site listening. Depending on collection deposit agreements, copies of some materials may be obtained by researchers. Students are particularly encouraged to utilize archival materials to assist with class projects and help prepare for their own field work. The Archives employs several students each year and works informally with most ethnomusicology students as they begin to consider recording format options, equipment purchase, the practical problems of documentation in the field, and other issues related to their research. Students and other researchers are invited to deposit their field collections in the Archives, which offers secure storage and computer catalog access to all materials.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Performers: Yunus Husain Khan/vocal, Faiyaz Khan/tabla.
Contents: Rag Nat Bhairav; Rag Ahir Bhairav; Rag Husseini Bhairav; Rag Ghara; Rag Chandrakauns; Rag Shankara; Rag Ramdasi Malhar; Rag Lalit Sohini; Tabla Solo.
Original digital audio tapes recorded with Panasonic PV-9000 and Sony PCM-F1.
Recording session conducted by Daniel Neuman with Ter Ellingson.
Tabla track very weak on second digital tape.
EC and WT sets made from digital audio originals; durations of 5 reels in EC set: 28:53, 38:06, 44:36, 23:27, 31:40.
DAT copies transferred October 2014 (44.1 kHz, 16-bit) - 86-22.1WT.wav (1:07:50); 86-22.2WT.wav (1:03:31) (total duration = 2:11:21).
Documentation: List of compositions on file.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Classical Music, Hindustani
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Geographical Names :
- India--Asia--South Asia
- North India
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Faiyaaz Khan, Ustad, 1881-1950 (performer)
- Khan, Yunus Hussain, 1927-1991 (performer)