James Clinton Rule papers, 1922-1953 PDF
- Rule, James Clinton, 1902-1985
- James Clinton Rule papers
- 1922-1953 (inclusive)19221953
- 2.0 linear feet
- Collection Number
- Mss 878
- James Clinton Rule attended the State University of Montana (now the University of Montana) in Missoula in the 1920s. Rule was a member of the Sigma Nu fraternity and also a member of the track team. This collection contains a scrapbook and an additional collection of materials related to his time at the University including photographs, dance cards, and correspondence as well as his freshman beanie.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
James Clinton Rule was born in Iowa around 1904. He graduated from Powell County High School in Deer Lodge, Montana in 1921. Rule attended the State University of Montana in Missoula (now the University of Montana) and was an active member of the campus community pledging with the Sigma Nu fraternity and a member of the university track team. He graduated with a degree in business administration in 1927 and went to work for the Commercial Investment Trust Company in Spokane, Washington. In 1928, he received a promotion within the company and relocated to Butte, Montana.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection contains a scrapbook compiled by J. Clinton Rule during his time at the State University of Montana (now called the University of Montana) in Missoula. He acquired the nickname "Rusty" from his fraternity brothers and it is prominently displayed on many of the items. The scrapbook includes dance cards, ticket stubs, newspaper clippings, telegrams, photographs, correspondence, various published items from Rule's time on campus, and a freshman beanie. The collection also contains some materials relating to Rule's younger brother, Ted Rule, and his time as a part of the State University's football team.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to the University of Montana.
James Clinton Rule papers, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|2/2||Newspaper Clippings, Ted Rule||1920s-1950s|
|2/3||Associated Students of the State University of Montana||1926|
|2/4||Ted Rule Eulogy||1953 and undated|
|2/5||Correspondence and Clippings||1920s|
|2/6||Telegrams and Dance Cards||1920s-1930s|
|2/7||Handbook, Commencement Program, Correspondence||1922-1927|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Montana--Missoula--Social life and customs--20th century
- Greek letter societies--Montana--Missoula
- Personal Names :
- Rule, James Clinton, 1902-1985--Archives
- Rule, Ted
- Corporate Names :
- Sigma Nu Fraternity
- State University of Montana (Missoula, Mont.)--Societies, etc.
- State University of Montana (Missoula, Mont.)--Students--Social life and customs--20th century
- Geographical Names :
- Missoula (Mont.)
- Form or Genre Terms :