John T. Apperson correspondence, 1862-1865 PDF
- Apperson, Albert JeffersonApperson, John T., 1834-1917
- John T. Apperson correspondence
- 1862-1865 (inclusive)18621865
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 folder
- Collection Number
- A 002
- During the American Civil War, John T. Apperson served in the 1st Oregon Cavalry, and was stationed at Ft. Walla Walla and Ft. Dalles, in Oregon. The collection (1862-1865) consists of letters written to John T. Apperson during his service in the military.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection (1862-1865) consists of letters written to John T. Apperson during his service in the military.
Sixteen of the letters are from his brother, Albert Jefferson Apperson, who was a clerk with the Oregon Steam Navigation Company, and refer to steamboat and related business.
Other letters are from Amanda and Jennie Gaines, and Elvira Fellows, young ladies of Clackamas County, Oregon. The correspondence contains social news, mild flirtation, gossip, and oblique references to the American Civil War.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the John T. Apperson correspondence|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Steam Navigation Company
- Geographical Names :
- Clackamas County (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :