• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF

Villard Hall Centennial records, 1983-1987

Overview of the Collection

University of Oregon. Villard Hall Centennial.
Villard Hall Centennial records
1983-1987 (bulk)
1881-1987 (inclusive)
0.75 linear feet, (2 containers)
Collection Number
UA 083
Villard Hall was the second building opened on the University of Oregon campus in 1886. The records document the history of the building as well as planning around the centennial celebration.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
Eugene OR
Telephone: 541-346-3068
Fax: 541-346-3485
Access Restrictions

Collection is open to the public.

Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.

Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections & University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.

Materials may need to be reviewed by the University Archivist for confidential materials prior to access.


Historical NoteReturn to Top

Villard Hall opened in 1886 as the second building on the University of Oregon campus. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977.

Henry Villard (1835-1900), namesake of this building, was a German immigrant who worked initially as a newspaper reporter. Eventually he became involved in railway transportation and by 1881 was president of the Northern Pacific Railroad whose transcontinental line was completed in 1883. Later, he headed companies that became, in 1893, the General Electric Company.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

Collection is organized by accession and includes the following material:

As of 2012 there is only one accession:

Accession 1996.161.A: Office files, correspondence, photographs, artwork, news releases, clippings, and meeting minutes documenting the Villard Hall centennial. Also included are documents relating to convocations, alumni association, gala organizing, program proposals, the School of Music, and Athletic department, Eugene Celebration parade, and the history of Villard Hall. This accession covers events from 1881, 1886, 1899, 1936, and 1985 activities.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.

Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.

Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.

If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Villard Hall Centennial records, UA 083, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top