Philip Buehner Papers, 1876-1919 PDF
- Buehner, Philip
- Philip Buehner Papers
- 1876-1919 (inclusive)18761919
- .4 cubic feet (1 document case, 1 custom box)
- Collection Number
- Mss 82
- The collection contains materials relating to Philip Buehner's family and business interests, including the lumber industry, establishment of the Bull Run water system, and other water supply systems. Includes materials formerly designated as Mss 82-1.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Philip Buehner, engineer and contractor, was born in Springfield, Illinois, in 1858. Before settling in Portland, Oregon, in 1887, Buehner was responsible for building many municipal water-supply projects throughout the Pacific Northwest, including Seattle, Yakima, and the first modern water works for Spokane, Washington, in 1884. In 1895, he entered into a contract with Hoffman & Bates to manufacture a steel conduit in order to transport Bull Run River water to Portland. Buehner was also founder of the Eastern and Western Lumber Company, Buehner Lumber Company, and Buehner Investment Company.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Papers include: Agreement (March 10, 1893) between Wolff & Zwicker Iron Works and Philip Buehner to enter into a contract with Hoffman & Bates to manufacture a steel conduit in order to bring Bull Run River water to the city of Portland, Oregon; patent records (1914); Buehner Lumber Company catalog (1919) and minute book (1910-1917), business correspondence (1888-1892); contracts (1889-1892); receipts (1890-1892); payroll records (1890); rules and regulations (1876-1892) of various water companies; personal papers regarding family matters and Buehner's business interests. Some business correspondence relates to Buehner's work on water-supply projects in Seattle, Spokane, and Yakima, Washington.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Philip Buehner Papers, Mss 82, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Mss 82Return to Top
Wolff & Zwicker Iron Works agreements
Patents, U.S. and Canada
Buehner Lumber Company, Buehner Company
Mss 82-1Return to Top
Regulations re: miscellaneous water companies
Will, Henry Habighorst
Buehner Lumber Company
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Public works -- Oregon -- Portland.
- Water-supply engineering -- Oregon -- Portland -- Patents.
- Water-supply engineering -- Oregon -- Portland.
- Water-supply engineering -- Washington (State) -- Seattle.
- Water-supply engineering -- Washington (State) -- Spokane.
- Water-supply engineering -- Washington (State) -- Yakima.
- Water-supply engineers -- Oregon -- Portland.
- Personal Names :
- Buehner, Philip, 1858-1940
- Corporate Names :
- Buehner Lumber Company.
- Hoffman & Bates.
- Wolff & Zwicker Iron Works.
- Geographical Names :
- Bull Run River Watershed (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Business records