Robert Garfias recordings: five Korean court dances, 1969 PDF
- Garfias, Robert; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Robert Garfias recordings: five Korean court dances
- 2 items : EC-1 vct (VHS, sp, color) (copy 1); 1 vct (U-matic) (copy 2); Duration: 34:00.
- Collection Number
- Video copies of film produced by UW "Archives of Ethnic Music & Dance"; published by University of Washington Press, 1970; out of print 1998. Film shows five examples of traditional music and dance from the court of the Korean Yi dynasty.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Original film and video copies in color.
Traditional music and dance from the old court of the Yi dynasty, performed in traditional robes and costumes from that period.
Contents: 1) Solo nightingale dance; 2) Group flower dance; 3) Group drum dance; 4) Group ball game dance; 5) Group masked dance.
Documentation: Old UW Press catalogs.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Classical Music--Korea
- Folk Music--Korea
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Yi--Asia--East Asia
- Geographical Names :
- Korea--Asia--East Asia
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound recordings
- Video recordings