Morris H. Whitehouse architectural photographs collection, 1906-1975  PDF

Overview of the Collection

Title
Morris H. Whitehouse architectural photographs collection
Dates
1906-1975 (inclusive)
Quantity
4.14 cubic feet, (Approx. 1,600 photographs, 585 negatives, 10 slides, and 26 works of art in 5 document boxes and 4 oversize boxes)
Collection Number
Org. Lot 321
Summary
This photographs collection documents much of the work of Morris H. Whitehouse (1878-1944), a Portland, Or.-based architect whose firms and successors operated for 77 years, making it the longest operating architectural firm in Oregon history. The images, dating from, 1911-1975, include construction progress photographs and exterior and interior views of buildings designed by Whitehouse and successor firms primarily in Oregon, but a few in Washington and Idaho.
Repository
Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
Portland, OR
97205
Telephone: 503-306-5240
Fax: 503-219-2040
libreference@ohs.org
Access Restrictions

The collection is open to the public.

Languages
English
Sponsor
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.


Historical NoteReturn to Top

Morris H. Whitehouse (1878-1944) was a prominent Portland, Or.-based architect whose firms and successors designed hundreds of projects in the Pacific Northwest from 1907 through 1985. Whitehouse, who was born in Portland to Benjamin Gardner and Clara (Homans) Whitehouse, studied at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). After his graduation in 1905, he won the first Guy Lowell Traveling Fellowship in architecture ever awarded by MIT. Whitehouse used this award to continue his studies at the American Academy in Rome, Italy, in 1906-1907. He returned to Portland, Or., and in 1907 opened his office.

The following year, Whitehouse formed a partnership with engineer Bruce R. Honeyman, and in 1909 became a member of the firm of Lazarus, Whitehouse & Fouilhoux. This firm later became known as Whitehouse & Fouilhoux. During the years before World War I, the firm designed several significant Portland, Or., buildings, including Lincoln High School and the University Club. The war caused the dissolution of Whitehouse & Fouilhoux, and associate Jacques André Fouilhoux (1879-1945) went on to become a successful New York City-based architect after serving in the military.

During the early 1920s, Whitehouse practiced under the firm name of Morris H. Whitehouse, Architect. In 1926, the name was changed to Morris H. Whitehouse & Associates after he established a partnership with A. Glenn Stanton and Walter E. Church. Significant projects from this period include Temple Beth Israel, the United States Courthouse, and Multnomah Civic Stadium in Portland, Or. In 1932, the firm became known as Whitehouse, Stanton & Church, but Stanton left to start his own firm in 1935. In 1936, Whitehouse & Church lost a competition to design the new Oregon State Capitol, but they supervised its construction, which was completed in 1938. The firm designed the Oregon State Library, which was completed in 1939.

After Earl P. Newberry and Frank Roehr became partners, the firm name changed to Whitehouse, Church, Newberry & Roehr in 1942. Whitehouse died in 1944, and the name was changed to Church, Newberry & Roehr in 1949. The firm that had been established by Whitehouse continued with various changes in partners and names until 1985.

Whitehouse was active in the Portland Architectural Club, served as director and president of the Oregon Chapter, American Institute of Architects, and on the Oregon State Board of Architect Examiners, 1919-1930.

The following list contains the names and dates in chronological order of Whitehouse and successor firms:

1908-1909
Whitehouse & Honeyman, Architects
1909-1911
Lazarus, Whitehouse & Fouilhoux, Architects
1910-1920
Whitehouse & Fouilhoux, Architects
1920-1925
Morris H. Whitehouse, Architect
1926-1931
Morris H. Whitehouse & Associates, Architects
1932-1935
Whitehouse, Stanton & Church, Architects
1935-1942
Whitehouse & Church, Architects
1943-1949
Whitehouse, Church, Newberry & Roehr, Architects
1949-1957
Church, Newberry & Roehr, Architects
1957-1961
Newberry, Roehr & Schuette, Architects
1961-1966
Newberry, Roehr & Schuette, Architects
1966-1971
Newberry & Schuette, Architects
1971-1975
Newberry, Schuette & Associates, Architects
1975-1985
Schuette & Wheeler, Architects

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The photographs document much of the work of Morris H. Whitehouse (1878-1944), Portland, Oregon-based architect whose firms and successors operated for 77 years, making it the longest lived architectural firm in Oregon history. The images (1911-1975) include construction progress photographs and exterior and interior views of buildings designed by Whitehouse and successor firms primarily in Oregon, but a few in Washington and Idaho. Many images from the 1920s through 1940s were made by renowned architectural photographer Walter Boychuk and offer superior documentation of such buildings as the Oregon State Capitol and Library in Salem. A few portraits of Morris Whitehouse and Walter E. Church, a principal member of several Whitehouse firms, are included in the collection. The collection also incorporates several works of art produced by Whitehouse while studying and traveling in Europe on a fellowship from the Massachusetts Institute of Techonology, 1906-1907.

The mounted black-and-white Boychuk photographs feature several signature Whitehouse projects, including Temple Beth Israel (1926-1927), First Presbyterian Church (1928), Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist (1932), and Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse (1932-1933), all in Portland, Or., and the Oregon State Capitol (ca. 1939), and Oregon State Library (1939) in Salem. Construction progress photographs, many taken by professional studios, document the Portland Civic Auditorium (1916-1917), Multnomah Civic Stadium (1926), the Oregon State Capitol (1936-1938), and the Oregon State Library (1938-1939). Many of the photographs from the early 1950s through the early 1970s also detail construction on various projects. The photographs include very few examples of residential design, although the Whitehouse firms did extensive residential work.

The works of art produced by Morris Whitehouse in 1906-1907 include pencil sketches and watercolors of scenes and historic structures in France, Great Britain, and Italy. The collection includes one drawing of a church interior by Walter E. Church (1926), and a photograph titled “Artisans,” probably by Albert Jordan (1926).

Other photographers represented in this collection include Columbia Commercial Stduio, Photo-Art Commercial Studio

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any reproduction use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Preferred Citation

Morris H. Whitehouse architectural photographs collection, Org. Lot 321, Oregon Historical Society Research Library

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.

Series A:  Architectural photographs and portraits, 1911-1975Return to Top

Series A is organized into 11 subseries. Subseries 1-10 are arranged chronologically based on the name changes that occurred among the Whitehouse firms. Subseries 11 contains portraits of Morris H. Whitehouse and Walter E. Church. Subseries titles and approximate dates for each version of the firm are: Whitehouse & Fouilhoux, Architects (1910-1920); Morris H. Whitehouse & Associates, Architects (1926-1931); Whitehouse & Church, Architects (1935-1942); Whitehouse, Church, Newberry & Roehr, Architects (1943-1949); Church, Newberry & Roehr, Architects (1949-1954); Church, Newberry & Roehr, Architects; Kurt Schuette, Associate (1955-1957); Church, Newberry, Roehr & Schuette, Architects (1958-1961); Newberry, Roehr & Schuette, Architects (1961-1967); Newberry & Schuette, Architects (1968-1974); Newberry, Schuette & Wheeler, Architects and Planners (1974-1975).

Photographic prints and color slides are arranged chronologically by project. Most of the photographs by Walter Boychuk are mounted and in oversize boxes.
Container(s) Description Dates
Subseries 1: Whitehouse & Fouilhoux, Architects
1911-1917
Box/Folder
1/1
Multnomah Amateur Athletic Club site, Portland, Or.
1911
5/1-5
Portland Civic Auditorium, Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1916-1917
Subseries 2: Morris H. Whitehouse & Associates, Architects
1926-1933
Box/Folder
1/2-3
Multnomah Civic Stadium, Portland, Or.
Exterior
1926
Box/Folder
1/4-8 5/6
Temple Beth Israel, Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views (some mounted)
1926-1927
First Presbyterian Church, Salem, Or.
Exterior (some mounted)
1928
Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist, Portland, Or.
Exterior (mounted)
1932
Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse, Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views (some mounted)
1932-1933
Subseries 3: Whitehouse & Church, Architects
1925-ca. 1945; 1936-1940
Box/Folder Box/Folder
1/12-27 Over B-1/4
Oregon State Capitol, Salem, Or.
Exterior and interior views (some mounted)
1936-1940
2/1
Scott Company, Shipley Garage
Exterior
ca. 1937
Box/Folder
Oregon State Library, Salem, Or.
Exterior and interior views (some mounted)
1938-1939
2/13 5/11
Senator Charles L. McNary Residence, Salem, Or.
Photographic reproductions of drawings
1925-1926; 1938
Over B-1/6
Oregon State Capitol Group, Heating Plant, Salem, Or.
Exterior (mounted)
1939
2/14
James F. Short Residence, Mile-Away Ranch, Redmond, Or.
Exterior and interior views
ca. 1943-1945
2/15
James F. Short, The Deschutes Grain and Feed Company, Redmond, Or.
Exterior
ca. 1945
Subseries 4: Whitehouse, Church, Newberry & Roehr, Architects
ca. 1945-1957; 1946-1948
Box/Folder
2/16
Saelens Radio Service, Shop, Portland, Or.
Exterior
1946
2/17
J.C. Penney Company, Inc., Store Building, The Dalles, Or.
Exterior
ca. 1945-1947
Box/Folder
2/18 Over B-1/7
Weinhard Estate/Lincoln Building, Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views (some mounted)
1946; 1949
Over B-1/8
Doctors Clinic Group, Portland, Or.
Exterior (mounted)
1947
2/19-22
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, Twin Oaks Exchange Building, Portland, Or.
Exterior (includes photographic reproduction of perspective drawing)
1946-1948
2/23-26
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, Empire Exchange Building, Portland, Or.
Exterior (includes photographic reproduction of perspective drawing)
1947-1948
2/27-31
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, Roseburg Telephone Building, Roseburg, Or.
Exterior (includes photographic reproduction of perspective drawing)
1947-1948; 1956-1957
3/1-4
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, North Central Avenue Building, Medford, Or.
Exterior
1948
Over B-1/9
Public Service Building/Oregon State Office Building, Salem, Or.
Exterior (mounted)
ca. 1950
Subseries 5: Church, Newberry & Roehr, Architects
ca. 1950-1961; 1952-1954
Box/Folder
3/5
Douglas County Fairgrounds, Roseburg, Or.
Exterior
ca. 1950-1955
3/6
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, Test Center addition to East Office Building, SE 17th Ave. and Morrison St., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1952
3/7-8
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, addition to Sunset Office, SE Raymond Court and 70th Ave., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1952-1953
3/9-10
Pacific Power & Light Company, Office Building and Warehouse, The Dalles, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1952-1954
3/11-12
J.C. Penney Company, Inc., Store, Coos Bay, Or.
Exterior
1953
3/13
J.C. Penney Company, Inc., Store, Corvallis, Or.
Exterior
ca. 1953
3/14
J.C. Penney Company, Inc., Store site, Gresham, Or.
Exterior
ca. 1953
3/15
Emanuel Hospital and Apartments, Portland, Or.
Exterior
ca. 1954; 1961
3/16
J. K. Gill Company, Warehouse, 2725 NW Industrial St., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1954
3/17-18
First National Bank of Oregon, Medford, Or.
Exterior and interior views (includes color slides)
1954-1955
Subseries 6: Church, Newberry & Roehr, Architects; Kurt Schuette, Associate
1955-1970; 1955-1957
Box/Folder
3/19
Multnomah Stadium, Portland, Or.
Interior
ca. 1955
3/20
United States National Bank, Seventh and Main streets, Oregon City, Or.
Exterior (black-and-white and color prints)
1955
3/21-24
Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company, Exchange Street Building, 1095 Exchange St., Astoria, Or.
Exterior and interior views (black-and-white and color prints)
1956; 1969-1970
3/25
Concordia Lutheran Church, Pullman, Wash.
Exterior and interior views
1956
3/26
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, North Central Avenue Building, addition, Medford, Or.
Exterior
1956-1957
3/27
Central Bible Church, 8815 NE Glisan St., Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1957
Subseries 7: Church, Newberry, Roehr & Schuette, Architects
1958-1967; 1958-1961
Box/Folder
3/28
Bethlehem Lutheran Church (Aloha Lutheran Church; Ascension Lutheran Church), Aloha, Or.
Exterior and interior views (includes photographic reproduction of perspective drawing)
1958; 1963; 1967
3/29
Southern Oregon State College, Commons Building and Dormitory Building, Ashland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1958; 1962
3/30
University of Oregon, Dormitories No. 3 and 4, Eugene, Or.
Exterior and interior views (includes black-and-white and color prints)
1958; 1960
3/31
Trinity Lutheran Church and School, 5520 NE Killingsworth St., Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1958; 1961
3/32
Sheraton Motor Inn, Lloyd Center, Portland, Or.
Exterior
1958
3/33
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, Alder Street Exchange, Newport, Or.
Exterior
1958-1959
3/34
Ascension Lutheran Church, 1440 SE 182nd Ave., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1959
3/35
Corsun Arms Apartment Hotel/King Motel, SW King and Yamhill streets, Portland, Or.
Exterior
1959
3/36
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, Arlington, Or.
Exterior
1959
3/37
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, North Elizabeth Street Building, Milton-Freewater, Or.
Exterior
1959
3/38
Oregon State University, Memorial Union, Corvallis, Or.
Exterior
ca. 1959-1960
4/1
Uyeda Apartments, SE 34th Ave. and Morrison St., Portland, Or.
Photographic reproductions of perspective drawing
ca. 1959-1960
Over B-1/10
Executive Building, 811 SW Sixth Ave., Portland, Or.
Exterior (mounted)
ca. 1960
Over B-1/11
First National Bank of Oregon Building, SW Sixth Ave. and Stark St., Portland, Or.
Exterior (mounted)
ca. 1960
4/2
Waverley Country Club, Pro Shop, Portland, Or.
Exterior
ca. 1960
4/3
Independent Stevedore Company Building, Coos Bay, Or.
Exterior
1960
4/4-5
First National Bank of Oregon, Coos Bay, Or.
Exterior and interior views (includes black-and-white and color prints and color slide)
1960-1961
4/6
First National Bank of Oregon, North Bend, Or.
Exterior
1961
4/7
Paul Rask Property, NE 37th Ave. and Sandy Blvd., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1961
Subseries 8: Newberry, Roehr & Schuette, Architects
1961-1967
Box/Folder
4/8
Benjamin Franklin Federal Savings and Loan Association, St. Johns Branch, Portland, Or.
Exterior (includes black-and-white and color prints)
1961
4/9
Sunset Hills Memorial Park, 6801 SW Sunset Highway, Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views (includes black-and-white and color prints and color slides)
1961-1962; 1965
4/10
Portland General Electric Company, Gresham Service Building, Gresham, Or.
Exterior (includes photographic reproduction of perspective drawing)
1962
4/11
United States National Bank of Oregon, N. Interstate and Going St. Branch, Portland, Or.
Exterior
1963
4/12
Hillsdale Community Church, 6948 SW Capitol Highway, Portland, Or.
Photographic reproduction of perspective drawing
1963
4/13
Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company, Capitol Exchange Annex, Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1965
4/14
Benjamin Franklin Federal Savings and Loan Association, 808 SW Alder St., Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views and photographic reproduction of perspective drawing (includes black-and-white and color prints)
1965-1966
4/15
Multnomah Athletic Club, Pool, Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
ca. 1966
4/16
Braley-Graham Buick Agency, 9155 SW Canyon Rd., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1966
4/17
Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company, Plant Operation Center, 1630 SE Eighth Ave., Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1967
Subseries 9: Newberry & Schuette, Architects
1968-1974
Box/Folder
4/18
Our Savior Lutheran Church, McCall, Idaho
Interior (color prints)
1968
4/19
Benjamin Franklin Federal Savings and Loan Association, Hollywood Branch, NE 40th and Broadway streets, Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1968
4/20
Benjamin Franklin Federal Savings and Loan Association, SW Fifth Ave. and Stark St., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1968
4/21
Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company, North Salem Plant Operating Center, McDonald St., Salem, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1968
4/22
Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company, South Salem Plant Operating Center, Triangle Drive, Salem, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1968
4/23
First National Bank of Oregon, Downtown Drive-in, SW Fifth Ave. and Stark St., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1968
4/24
First National Bank of Oregon, Hawthorne Branch, SE 33rd Ave. and Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1968
4/25
First National Bank of Oregon, Hollywood-Rose City Branch, NE 43rd Ave. and Sandy Blvd., Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1968-1969
4/26-27
St. Johns Lutheran Church, American Falls, Idaho
Exterior and interior views and church model (black-and-white and color prints)
1968-1969
4/28-29
Calvary Lutheran Church, SE 82nd Ave. and Woodstock Blvd., Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1969
4/30
Concordia Lutheran Church, 2800 SE Concord Rd., Oak Grove, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1970
4/31
First National Bank of Oregon, SE 82nd Ave. and Division St., Portland, Or.
Exterior (black-and-white and color prints)
1971; 1973
4/32
Boise-Cascade Corporation, Office Supply Division, Swan Island, Portland, Or.
Exterior
1972
4/33
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, addition, Albany, Or.
Exterior (black-and-white and color prints)
1973-1974
Subseries 10: Newberry, Schuette & Wheeler, Architects and Planners
1974-1975
Box/Folder
4/34
Fleming’s Restaurant, SW Fourth Ave. and Yamhill St., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1974
4/35-36
Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company, Atlantic Exchange, 2911 NE 24th Ave., Portland, Or.
Exterior (includes photographic reproductions of perspective drawings)
1967; 1974
4/37
First National Bank of Oregon, E. Burnside St. and 26th Ave., Portland, Or.
Exterior and interior views
1974
4/38
Braley-Gray and Associates Plumbing and Heating, 7816 N. Interstate Ave., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1975
4/39
First National Bank of Oregon, SE 103rd Ave. and Washington St., Portland, Or.
Exterior
1975
Subseries 11: Portraits
ca. 1880-ca. 1943
Box/Folder
4/40
Morris H. (Homans) Whitehouse
ca. 1880-1885; ca. 1940-1943
5/12
Morris H. Whitehouse
ca. 1940-1943
5/12
Walter E. Church
ca. 1940-1943

Series B:  Works of art, 1906-1926Return to Top

Series B contains works of art by Morris H. Whitehouse (1906-1907), Walter E. Church (1926), a photographer (probably Albert Jordan, 1926), an unknown artist (ca. 1906-1907), and prints of fine art by unknown artists. Most are done in pencil and watercolors on paper.

The works of art are arranged chronologically in folders. Many of the works are mounted and in oversize boxes.
Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder
5/13
Grammar Hall, Magdalen College, Oxford, Great Britain
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1907
5/13
Oriel Window, St. John’s College, Oxford, Great Britain
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1907
5/13
Amalfi, Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1907
5/13
St. Zeno (?), Verona (?), Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1906
5/14
Staircase Tower, Blois, France
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil sketches.
ca. 1906-1907
5/14
Bell Tower, Evesham, Great Britain
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil sketches.
ca. 1906-1907
5/14
Pew Ends, St. Mars’ Abbey, Sherborne, Great Britain
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil sketch.
1907
5/14
Pelligrini Chapel, Verona, Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil sketches.
ca. 1906-1907
5/15
“Along the Seine,” Paris, France
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Watercolors.
1907
5/15
Luxembourg Garden, Paris , France
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Watercolors.
1907
Over B-1/12
Colonna Gardens, Rome, Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1907
Over B-1/12
Detail of Courtyards: Farnese and Cancelleria, Rome, Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1907
Over B-1/12
Elevations and Details of Campanili: St. Francesca Romana and San Marco, Rome, Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1907
Over B-1/13
Borghese Gardens, Rome, Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1907
Over B-1/14
Church interior, location unknown
Artist: Walter E. Church. Pencil.
1926
Over B-1/15
“Artisans,” photograph, location unknown
Photographer: Albert Jordan (?).
1926
Over B/3
Chapel Bay, San Maria Della Salvte, Venice, Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil and watercolors.
1906
Over B/3
Detail, Palazzo Vendramini, Venice, Italy
Artist: Morris H. Whitehouse. Pencil.
ca. 1906-1907
Over B/3
Villa D’ Esté, location unknown
Artist: unknown. Pencil.
ca. 1906-1907
Over B/4
Calli E Canali, Venice, Italy
Artist: unknown. Color lithograph.
undated
Over B/4
Aurora di Guido Reni, Rome (?), Italy
Artist: unknown. Color lithograph.
undated

Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

  • Subject Terms :
  • Architects--Photographs.
  • Church architecture--Photographs.
  • Personal Names :
  • Whitehouse, Morris H., 1878-1944.
  • Corporate Names :
  • Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse (Portland, Or.)--Photographs.
  • Oregon State Capitol (Salem, Or. : 1938- )--Photographs.
  • Oregon State Library--Photographs.
  • Portland Civic Auditorium (Portland, Or.)--Photographs.
  • Temple Beth Israel (Portland, Or.)--Photographs.
  • Form or Genre Terms :
  • Negatives.
  • Photographic prints.
  • Slides.
  • Works of art.
  • Other Creators :
    • Personal Names :
    • Boychuk, Walter, 1886-1967. (photographer)
    • Corporate Names :
    • Acme Commercial Studio (Portland, Or.). (photographers)
    • Columbia Commercial Studio (Portland, Or.). (photographers)
    • Photo Art Studios. (photographers)