• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF
Search

Pike Place Market Visual Images and Audiotapes, 1894-1984

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Seattle (Wash.). Dept. of Community Development
Title
Pike Place Market Visual Images and Audiotapes
Dates
1894-1984 (inclusive)
Quantity
6.4 cubic ft., ((15 boxes))
Collection Number
1628-02
Summary
Photographic prints and slides relating to the Pike Place Market in Seattle, Washington.
Repository
Seattle Municipal Archives
Seattle Municipal Archives
Office of the City Clerk
City of Seattle
PO Box 94728
98124-4728
Seattle, WA
Telephone: 206-233-7807
Fax: 206-386-9025
archives@seattle.gov
Access Restrictions

Records are open to the public.

Languages
English


Historical NoteReturn to Top

The Department of Community Development administered the City's comprehensive plan and provided direction and support for the City's physical and economic development through community planning. DCD was established in 1969 and assumed the responsibilities of the City Planning Commission and the Urban Renewal Program. In 1972, the Office of Economic Development was created in the Department to provide information to businesses that were expanding or relocating in Seattle. DCD was the lead agency for implementing various types of grant funded projects, such as Neighborhood Improvement Program, Targeted Neighborhood Assistance Program, and Neighborhood Development Program. DCD was abolished in 1992 and its programs were relocated in the Department of Neighborhoods, Department of Housing and Human Services, Planning Department, and other agencies. DCD records include material from the City Planning Commission, Zoning Commission, Metropolitan Arts Commission, Board of Adjustment, and Urban Renewal Program.

Origin

Founded in 1907, Pike Place Market was a city-sponsored experiment to help reduce the high cost of local produce. It was created as a means for local farmers to sell directly to shoppers, without benefit of middlemen who were suspected of inflating prices. An immediate success, it thereafter became a permanent fixture in the vicinity of Pike Place and First Avenue.

The two original ordinances passed regarding the Market effectively determined its method of operation. In the establishing ordinance, the City vested direct responsibility in the Street Department, which painted stall spaces on the planked street surface of Pike Place and assigned a police officer to allot spaces. A second ordinance passed in November 1907 instituted one of the basic rules of market operations. It required that sales in the market be limited to food and food products "raised, produced or manufactured by the person offering the same for sale."

Growth

As the Market grew some changes were made to accommodate the farmer/sellers. In 1911 for example the City constructed sheds in the sidewalk right-of-way on Pike Place as an "inside" market for "dry stall" sellers, i.e. sellers who did not need to sprinkle or wash their goods.

The success of the public market attracted private investment and a number of new buildings were constructed between 1907 and 1927. Several privately sponsored markets and related businesses also opened during this period and competition began to develop for the farmers' loyalties.

A shift in the location of the farmers' carts in 1923 from the public street to a privately-owned arcade along the street became a defining moment in the history of the Market. The City's right to space in the market was challenged. From that point on, by mutual agreement, the City leased the privately-owned arcade and rented it on a daily basis to farmers.

In the first two decades of its existence, farmers sold a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and dairy products. They also sold meat and poultry, which by ordinance had to be butchered and dressed off the premises. Fish, home-preserved pickles and relishes, baked goods, and flowers were also staples of the market. By 1925 more than 600 farmer/sellers were regularly selling on weekends and the number of shoppers averaged 25,000 on weekdays and 50,000 on Saturdays. The Market continued to flourish through the decade of the thirties despite the Great Depression.

Multicultural Atmosphere

From its beginning, the Market's atmosphere as a cultural crossroads substantially contributed to its success and resilience. The mix of shoppers (local, national, international, and from every socioeconomic level) helped create this ambiance. Also contributing heavily to the multicultural atmosphere, at least initially, was the racial and ethnic diversity of the farmers. Many were immigrants who tended to settle in enclaves and engaged in similar agricultural pursuits. For example, most Japanese farmers lived in the Kent Valley and owned truck farms and fruit orchards. Italian farmers concentrated in Georgetown and South Park where they cultivated vegetables. Scandinavian ranchers settled on the Olympic Peninsula and in Island communities. They raised cows and chickens and sold poultry, eggs, milk and butter in the Market.

Economic Decline

After World War II, the economics of local farming changed. Factors contributing to this change included mechanization, home refrigeration, expansion of the frozen food industry, and an improved highway system (which encouraged long-haul trucking). By 1957 the Market was in steep decline, operating with less than 60 licensed farmers. Decreased public transit service to the area, proliferation of supermarket chains, and suburban real estate development contributed to a steady decline in shoppers.

Physical Decline

Located on prime real estate at the western edge of Seattle's central business district overlooking Elliott Bay, properties continued to appreciate in assessed value despite their condition. Eighty percent of the buildings in the Market district dated from the 1930s or earlier and displayed visible signs of deterioration. Properties damaged by fire or earthquakes were left vacant or only partially rehabilitated. Landlords had little incentive to make needed improvements to their buildings. Lending institutions were reluctant to make substantial loans for rehabilitation or new development, fearing that any new project would be surrounded by blight. With little or no maintenance, many buildings slipped below the standards established in local building and health codes.

Areas adjacent to the Market also changed markedly. Panhandlers and alcoholics became a significant presence on the streets. Prostitution flourished, with hotels in the vicinity catering to this trade. Vendors of pornographic literature, second-hand stores, and thrift shops contributed to the general atmosphere of decline.

Development Proposals in the 1950s

The economic and physical deterioration of the Market spurred several development proposals. The most detailed was one developed by Harlan H. Edwards in 1950. A consulting engineer and member of the City Planning Commission, he proposed assembling property between Pike and Stewart. The project would consist of a 2,000 car garage below the level of First Avenue with a city park constructed on the top deck. A farmers market would be housed on the two decks below the park.

All such proposals foundered when property assembly was attempted. Divergent property ownership and resale restrictions made this aspect of any project too difficult to sustain developer interest.

Urban Renewal Proposal

After decades of decline and neglect, the Pike Place marketing district was a blighted area scheduled for demolition and redevelopment. As early as 1964, a citizen's group known as Friends of the Market had organized to save it. Only the City of Seattle had authority (under its urban renewal powers) to condemn, prepare a redevelopment plan, replat with new streets and other utilities, and make the property available for private redevelopment.

In 1965 the City Council authorized application for urban renewal funds. Four years later, the City had completed an urban renewal plan for the Pike Place Project which called for the rehabilitation of a 1.7-acre market core within an overall 22-acre project. The Department of Community Development (DCD) was formed to take the lead responsibility in planning this project.

Community Activism and Rehabilitation

Market supporters mounted a strong campaign of opposition to razing and developing the land. Friends of the Market collected 53,000 signatures for an initiative to save the market which would create "...a Pike Place Market historical district and a market Historical Commission with the purpose of preserving, restoring and improving buildings and continuance of uses within said district, and providing that no structure within said district shall be erected, altered, extended, reconstructed, used or occupied except pursuant to a Certificate of Approval authorized by the commission..."

City Council refused to accept the measure and chose instead to put it on the November 1971 ballot. A second group, the Alliance for a Living Market, emerged to help pass the ballot measure. Voters passed the initiative to save the market by 60 % and overturned the urban renewal plan.

The initiative set aside a 7-acre Historical District in the heart of the 22-acre urban renewal project area. It also established a twelve-member Historical Commission to oversee all development and uses within the district.

The DCD set aside the original plan and started over. One of its first acts was to create the DCD Pike Project office in the Spring of 1972. The DCD Pike Project had primary responsibility for developing a new urban renewal plan for the Pike Place marketing district, and administering and managing its implementation. In June 1973, the Pike Place Market Preservation and Development Authority (PDA) was chartered by the City of Seattle to "undertake the renewal, rehabilitation, preservation, restoration and development of structures and open space in the Pike Place Historical District and surrounding areas in a manner that affords a continuing opportunity for Market farmers, merchants, residents, shoppers and visitors to carry on in their traditional activities."

A Memorandum of Understanding executed in 1975 between the PDA and the DCD specifically delineated the responsibilities of each agency. In particular, it assigned to the PDA the rehabilitation responsibility for the Livingston/Baker, Soames/Dunn Seed, Triangle, Corner Market and Main Market buildings in the historical district.

The PDA continues its activities, serving as landlord and manager for 80 percent of the properties within the Market Historical District. The DCD Pike Project Office, however, ceased operations in 1980. The Department of Community Development completed the Pike Place Market "Promenade 23 Project" in 1982 and continued to oversee fiscal matters until the Department was abolished in 1992.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The Pike Place Market Records pertain to the 22-acre federally assisted urban renewal project bounded by First Avenue on the east, Alaskan Way viaduct on the west and Lenora and Union streets on the north and south. It is an artificial collection that was accumulated by the City of Seattle Law Department as part of its legal preparation for the 1990 lawsuit, City v. Cliffhouse Associates, et al. The Law Department transferred the collection to the Seattle Municipal Archives in 1994.

The collection is divided into two records sub-groups. The first is the Pike Place Market Records (Record Series 1628-01), consisting of textual records; these records are described in the Pike Place Market Records finding aid. The second sub-group is the Pike Place Market Visual Images and Audio Collection (Record Series 1628-02), consisting of photographic prints and slides. This sub-group is described in this finding aid.

Many of the photographs are available in the online photograph database; selected photographs are available as high-resolution images.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

Copyright Note: The vast majority of photographic images in this collection are the property of the City of Seattle and are in the public domain. However, the copyright on some photographs and slides may rest with other institutions or individuals. The City assumes no responsibility for locating copyright. Obtaining permission for the use of copyrighted images is solely the responsibility of the user.

Preferred Citation

[Title of image, date. Item number.] Pike Place Market Visual Images and Audiotapes, Record Series 1628-02. Box [number], Folder [number]. Seattle Municipal Archives.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.

Series I:  Photographs, 1894-1979Return to Top

2.6 cubic ft., ((10 boxes, 2565 images))

The Pike Place Market photographs were compiled to document the history and redevelopment of the project area. The images were accumulated in several different ways. Historical photographs were gathered from several sources including the King County Assessor's Collection at the Puget Sound Branch of the State Archives and the Desimone Family. Contemporary images were gathered from amateur photographers and project staff who documented various aspects of the Market and the project. A 1972 visual survey of building interior and exterior conditions in the historic district was conducted prior to initiating the rehabilitation work. In addition, the Project Office contracted with several photographers to document specific activities or physical elements of the Market.

The Pike Place Market photographs are organized in three distinct sections. The first is organized by individual property or parcel and contains historical and contemporary photographs, including the 1972 survey images. The second grouping was part of the Department of Community Development's acquisition request records. These photographs were taken in 1967 and are a nearly complete exterior survey of the Market neighborhood. The final grouping is organized by subject or Market activity and includes both historical and contemporary photographs.

Container(s) Description Dates
Pike Project Parcels
Box/Folder
162/1
Block 1, R Block
1968[?]
162/2
Block 1, R Block
n.d.
162/3
R Block
n.d.
162/4
R Block, Omaha Hotel
1937, n.d.
162/5
R Block, Hemen Block; Byron Hotel
1937, n.d.
162/6
R Block; New Denver Cafe
n.d.
162/7
R Block; Miscellaneous stores and shops
1937; 1951
162/8
Griffiths Machine Co. (historical)
1937
162/9
R Block; Mafadini Building
1937; 1968
162/10
Hotel Conklin, Market Tavern
1937
162/11
Texaco Service Station
1967
162/12
Public Welfare Office
1937
162/13
Block 2; Armory Site/Gas Station
1914-1976
162/14
Gas Station
1937-1976
162/15
Western Parking Garage Fire
1974
162/16
Western Parking Garage/Municipal Garage
1972-1974
162/17
Western Parking Garage Demolition
1974
162/18
Western Parking Garage Demolition
1974
162/19
Western Parking Garage Demolition
1974
162/20
Joe DeSimone Bridge
1961-1964
162/21
Service Paper Co.
1961-1964
162/22
Livingstone Hotel
1937-1975
16/23
Livingstone Hotel
1974-1976
16/24
Livingstone Hotel Survey Photographs
1972
162/25
1925 First Avenue Building/Baker Building
1937-1976
163/1
1925 First Avenue Building/Baker Building
1972
163/2
Smith Block
1976
163/3
Smith Block
1920-1938
163/4
Smith Block Survey Photographs
1972
163/5
Butterworth Building
1969-1976
163/6
Butterworth Building Sidewalk Mosaic
1976
163/7
Butterworth Building Survey Photograph
1972
163/8
Fairmount Hotel
1937; 1976
163/9
Fairmount Hotel Survey Photographs
1972
163/10
Jones Building
1937; 1972
163/11
Jones Building Survey Photographs
1972
163/12
Alaska Trade Building
1940; 1965-1976
163/13
Alaska Trade Building Survey Photographs
1972
163/14
Stewart House
1937; 1976
163/15
Stewart House Survey Photographs
1972
163/16
Rendezvous Tavern
n.d.
163/17
Rendezvous Tavern Survey Photographs
1972
163/18
Dunn Seed Co.
1937; 1975
163/19
Dunn Seed Co. Survey Photographs
1972
163/20
Soames Paper Co.
1976
163/21
Soames Paper Co. Survey Photographs
1972
163/22
Champion Building
1937-1976
163/23
Champion Building Survey Photos
1972
163/24
Parking Lot
1937; 1951
163/25
Olson-Walker Building/Pike and Virginia Building
1977-1979
163/26
1605-1609 First Ave.
1937; 1959-1976
163/27
1605-1609 First Ave. Survey Photographs
1972
163/23
Rogers Clothing
1937-1976
163/29
Rogers Clothing Survey Photographs
1976
163/30
90-92 1/2 Pine Street: Taverns and Shops
1937; 1976
164/1
90-92 1/2 Pine Street: Taverns and Shops
1972
164/2
St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Shop
1975
164/3
St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Shop Survey Photographs
1972
164/4
Seattle Garden Center
1934-1976
164/5
Seattle Garden Center Survey Photographs
1972
164/6
Butcher Shop, Sanitary Market (interiors)
1924
164/7
Drug Store and Thrift Shop
1937; 1976
164/8
First Ave. Drug Store Survey Photographs
1972
164/9
1525-1529 First Ave.
1937
164/10
Sanitary Market
1937; 1974
164/11
Sanitary Market
1916-1974
164/12
Sanitary Market Survey Photographs
1972
164/13
Corner Market Exteriors
1912-1933
164/14
Corner Market Exteriors
1974-1976
164/15
Corner Market (miscellanous interiors and people)
1975
164/16-20
Corner Market Paint-In
1975
165/1
Smith Block (interior and exterior conditions)
1975
165/2
Corner Market (interior and exterior conditions)
1974-1975
165/3-7
Corner Market Rehabilitation
1975
165/8-9
Corner Market Survey Photographs
1972
165/10
Triangle Building Survey Photographs
1972
166/1
Triangle Building
1937; 1976
166/2
Market Hotel
1937; 1976
166/3
Market Hotel Survey Photographs
1972
166/4
Block 7; Main Arcade, Interior Stalls
1910s-1920s
166/5
Block 7; Main Arcade
ca. 1970s
166/6
Block 7; Exteriors (historical) and Main Arcade
1912-1928
166/7
Block 7; Exteriors and Interiors, Main Arcade
1972-1976
166/8
Open Arcade and Exteriors
1937; 1976
166/9
Open Arcade Survey Photographs
1972
166/10
City Fish Building Survey Photographs (exteriors)
1972
166/11
Fairley Group Survey Photographs
ca. 1972
166/12
Main Market
1937
166/13
Main Market
1976
166/14
Main Market Survey Photographs
1972
166/15
Bakery Building
1968
166/16
Bakery Building Survey Photographs
1972
166/17
Leland Hotel Survey Photographs
1972
166/18
Flower Stall Building
1972-1975
166/19
Flower Stall Survey Photographs
1972
166/20
Public Toilets
1937
166/21
Public Toilets Survey Photographs
1972
166/22
North Arcade Survey Photographs
1972
166/23
Block 8; Exteriors
1970s
166/24
Bayview Hotel
1958
166/25
Exteriors
1964
166/26
Standard Furniture/Leo Fix
1937
166/27
Fix/Madore Building
1937; 1964
167/1
Fix/Madore Building
1975-1976
167/2
Hillclimb Corridor
ca. 1930; 1970s
167/3
Market Square
ca. 1970s
167/4
Market Square
1970s
167/5
Bakun Building
1970s
167/11
Block 10; Newport Hotel, exterior street scene
1920; 1972
167/7
Economy Arcade
1976
167/8
Economy Market
1937; 1968
167/9
Economy Market Survey Photographs
1972
167/10
Green Parrot Paintings
n.d.
167/11
Green Parrot Theatre
1937
167/12
Aronson Hardware
1937
167/13
First Ave. Theater/Champ Arcade
1937; 1952
167/14
1407-11 First Ave., Newport Hotel
1937
167/15
Ben Franklin Electric Co.
1937
167/16
Longshoreman Building
1937
167/17
1406-1410 Western
ca. 1930; 1947
167/18
Block 10; Post Alley
1974
167/19
1420 Western Survey Photographs
1972
167/20
Sterling Poultry Co./ Brown Poultry Co.
1937
167/21
LaSalle Hotel Survey Photographs
1972
167/22
Outlook Hotel/LaSalle Hotel
1937; 1976
167/23
Outlook Hotel Survey Photographs
n.d.
167/24
1430 Western Ave.
1930s
167/25
Western Ave. Survey Photographs
1970s
167/26
87 Pike Street/Outlook Market Survey Photographs
1970s
167/27
Post Building Survey Photographs
1972
167/28
Cliff House
1937-1976
167/29
Cliff House Survey Photographs
1972
Acquisition Requests and Business Relocation
Box/Folder
167/30
Block 1, R Block
1967
167/31
R Block; Omaha Hotel
1967
167/32
R Block, Hemen Block; Byron Hotel and Al and Leon's Furniture
1967
167/33
R Block; New Troy Hotel
1967
167/34
Miscellaneous stores and shops
1967
167/35
Hotel Conklin, Harbor Heights Hotel, Rhode Island Building, Texaco
1967
167/36
Texaco, Diamond Parking, Rhode Island Building
1967
167/37
R Block; G.O. Guy Drugstore
1967
167/38
Armory Site
1967
167/39
Gas Station
1967
167/40
Municipal Market, Joe DeSimone Bridge, Western Parking Garage
1967-1972
167/41
Landes Block; Livingstone Hotel
1967
167/42
Baker Building
1967
167/43
Smith Block
1967
167/44
Butterworth Building
1967
167/45
Alaska Trade Building
1967
167/46
Jones Building, Fairmount Hotel
1967
167/47
Stewart House Hotel
1967
167/48
Rendezvous Tavern and Stewart House
1967
167/49
J. W. Dunn and Company, Soames Dunn Building
1967
167/50
Champion Building, Soames Dunn Building, Soames Dunn Paper Co.
1967
167/51
Champion Building
1967
167/52
Jones Building
1967
167/53
Jones Building; taverns and shops
1967
168/1
Seattle Garden Center
1967
168/2
Drugstore and thrift shop
1967
168/3
Sanitary Market, First and Pine Building
1967
168/4
Sanitary Market
1967
168/5
Public Market: arcades and bridges
1967
168/6
Public Market, City Fish Market
1967
168/7
Corner Market, Leland Hotel, Triangle Building
1967
168/8
Triangle Building, Leland Hotel
1967
168/9
Triangle Building
1967
168/10
Sanitary Market and Triangle Building
1967
168/11
Public Market: arcades and bridges
1967
168/12
Block 7; Public Market, hotels, and shops
1967
168/13
Bayview Hotel
1967
168/14
Public Market
1967
168/15-16
Fix/Madore Building
1967
168/17-18
Market Square
1967
168/19
Bakun Building
1967
168/20
Economy Arcade: taverns and shops
1967
168/21
Green Parrot Theatre and other businesses
1967
168/22
Champ Arcade
1967
168/23-24
Newport Hotel and surrounding businesses
1967
168/25
Longshoremen's Building
1967
168/26
Pizza Pete
1967
168/27
1420 Western Ave.
1967
168/28
Outlook Market and Hotel
1967
168/29
LaSalle Hotel
1967
168/30
Cliff House Hotel
1967
Business Relocations
Box/Folder
168/31-32
Bavarian Meats (Old Location)
1973
168/33
Bavarian Meats (New Location)
1973
168/34
Bavarian Meats (New Location)
1974
169/1
Bavarian Meats (New Location)
1974
169/2
G & G Meats (during inspection, Snohomish)
1974
169/3
G & G Meats (Replacement Snohomish)
1974
169/4
G & G Meats (during construction, Snohomish)
1974
169/5
G & G Meats (work at Snohomish)
1974
169/6
G & G Meats (completed)
1974
169/7
G & G Meats (new location, Snohomish)
1974
169/8
G & G Meats (present location)
1974
Subjects and Events
Box/Folder
169/9
Aerial Photographs
1920-1977
169/10
Aerial Photographs
1979
169/11
Anniversary (65th)
1972
169/12
Anniversary (69th)
1976
169/13
Anniversary (69th); Breakfast
1976
170/1
Corcoran (Jeff) Photographs
1973
170/2
DeSimone Brothers and Company Truck
1915; 1924
170/3
Developments, Non-Project Area: First Avenue
1972-1974
170/4
First Avenue: Street Scenes
1900-1930s
170/5
Harbor Views from the Market
1972
170/6-7
Linda Manewall Photographs
1978
170/8
Market Garages
1937
170/9
Municipal Market Fire
1961
170/10
Other Markets: California Meat Market
1894-1898
170/11
Other Markets: Security Market
1930
170/12
Other Markets: Westlake Public Market
ca. 1900; 1924
170/13-14
Pavement and Paving
ca. 1974
170/15
Pike Place: General Street Scenes
1974
170/16
Pike Place: General Street Scenes
1910; 1978
170/17
Pike Place and Pike Street Exteriors
1907-1919
170/18
Pike Place and Pike Street Exteriors
1920-1929
170/19
Pike Place and Pike Street Exteriors: Bulkhead Construction
1939
170/20
Pike Place and Pike Street Exteriors
1949-1972
170/21
Pike and Virginia Building
1978
170/22
Pike Place Market Street Fair
1974
170/23
Post Alley
1978
170/24
Post Alley, Mayday
1978
170/25
Proposed Developments: Hotel/Railroad Depot
1913
170/26
Proposed Developments: Mayor Brown Plan
1928
170/27
Proposed Developments: Harlan Edwards Plan
1950
170/28
Proposed Developments: Pike Plaza Redevelopment Project
1965
171/1
Public Market Center Sign
1978
171/2
Renovation and Construction
ca. 1975
171/3
Sargent Shriver at Market
1972
171/4
Western Ave. Exteriors
1909-1974
171/5
Miscellaneous/Unidentified
1950-1970
171/6
Unidentified
1975-1976
171/7
Unidentified
1972-1976
171/8-11
Unidentified
n.d.
171/12
Unidentified (construction)
n.d.

Series II :  Slides, 1965-1981Return to Top

1.8 cubic ft., ((5 boxes, 4523 images))

Over 4500 slides of the Pike Place Market primarily document conditions of the structures within the project boundaries before, during, and after rehabilitation and construction. Also included are slides of Market activities, events, and celebrations, and images from public markets and urban renewal projects throughout the United States.

The slides are arranged according to an organizational scheme devised by the project staff.
Container(s) Description Dates
Pike Project Parcels
Box/Folder
172/1
Livingstone Hotel and Baker Building: Rehabilitation and Construction
1970s
172/2
Smith Block Building and Butterworth Building
1970s
172/3
Champion Building, Pike and Virginia Company, Fairmount Hotel, Jones Building, Alaska Trade Building
1970s
172/4
Soames Dunn Building
1970s
172/5
Stewart House, tavern, and retail shops
1970s
172/6
Rogers Clothing, Seattle Garden Center, Harborview Hotel, drugstore, and shops
1970s
172/7
Sanitary Market Rehabilitation
1970s
172/8
Corner Market: before and during rehabilitation
1970s
172/9
Corner Market: during and after rehabilitation
1970s
172/10
Triangle Building: before, during, and after rehabilitation
1970s
172/11
North Group
1970s
173/1
Fairley Group
1970s
173/2
Bakery Group
1970s
173/3
LaSalle Group and Economy Market
1970s
173/4
Seaview Hotel
1970s
173/5
Various (includes G.O. Guy Drugs, Harbor Heights, Omaha Hotel, Byron Hotel, shops, and gas station)
1970s
173/6
Armory Park: before, during, and after construction
1970s
173/7
Municipal Market, Bayview Hotel, gas station
1970s
173/8
Fix/Madore Building, Service Paper, Green Parrot Theatre
1970s
173/9
First Ave. Service Center, Market Garage, Vancouver, B.C.
1970s
174/1
Project Area Model and Drawings
1970s
174/2
Project Maps
1970s
174/3
Project Aerials and other city views
1970s
174/4
Historical Photographs, Pike Plaza Plan, and People (including street musicians)
1970s
174/5
Traffic Reversal and Sewer Construction
1970s
174/6
Hillclimb
1970s
174/7
Post Alley
1970s
174/8
Pike and Pike Streets, Pike Place
1970s
174/9
First Ave., Western Ave., Virginia Street
1970s
174/10
Aquarium, Viaduct, Frye Hotel, Atwood Hotel
1970s
Subjects, Events, Other Markets, etc.
Box/Folder
174/11
Street Fair
1970s
175/1
Market Anniversaries
1975-1976
175/2
Market Anniversaries
1972; 1974-1975
175/3
Market Anniversaries
1970s
175/4
Corner Market dedication and Paint-In; Armory Park and Merchant Association Picnics
1970s
175/5
Bicentennial Celebration; Main Market, Streets, and Hillclimb dedications; Mondale visit
1970s
175/6
Urban Renewal in Salem, Mass. and Eugene, Oregon; Preservation Conference in Cleveland, Ohio
1970s
175/7
San Francisco; New York (subsidized housing, including Westbeth for "people in the arts")
1970s
175/6
Markets: Redmond, Inter-City, Capitol Hill Eastern Market, Canal Street (New York City), Hangerford (England)
1970s
175/7
Markets: Boston (Haymarket and Quincy Market), Salem (Mass.), Dallas, San Antonio, and Toronto
1970s
176/1
Markets: Boston, San Francisco, Victoria (B.C.); also includes miscellaneous historical photographs
1970s
176/2
"Toronto Slide Show"
1970s
176/3
San Antonio
1970s
176/4
Miscellaneous images (identified and unidentified)
1970s
176/5
First Ave. Project
1981
176/6
Linda Manewall images (also includes one b/w negative)