Francis Nighswander papers, 1862-1870 PDF
- Nighswander, Francis Marion, 1884-
- Francis Nighswander papers
- 1862-1870 (inclusive)18621870
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folders)
- Collection Number
- A 091
- The Francis Marion Nighswander papers are contained in a single folder. The papers comprise a journal, personal drawings, letters, and documents concerning the currency question of 1885. The materials are focused around Oregon and California life, as that is where Nighswander lived and worked for the majority of his life.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Francis Marion Nighswander was born in 1844. He left Urbana, Ohio in March 1862 for California by way of Panama. He worked in Suisun City on the dairy ranch of J.M. Jones and on the stock ranch of A. Jackson near Suisun. In 1863 he worked as a sheepherder. In 1864 he left California in company with John McMullen, driving a band of 4,000 sheep to Oregon. In Oregon, he settled in the Siuslaw precinct in southern Lane County.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The journal of Francis Nighswander is a composite volume of 104 numbered pages. Parts of it were written at the time of the events described and parts were composed as much as five years after the events. The journal begins with the departure from Ohio, describes the journey to California, adventures while there, the trip to Oregon, and ends with a description of a leisure trip to Yaquina Bay, Oregon in 1867, written in 1870. The journal is punctuated by a series of crude pencil sketches, some colored, of a few California scenes, Oregon scenes, and copies of popular illustrations. Part of the journal consists of copies of thirteen letters form James Nighswander, a brother. The letters date from May 1862 to June 1865 and are written from Florence City and Pioneer Gulch, Idaho, Salt Lake City and Brigham City, Utah, Varina and Nevada City, Montana, and Wild Horse Creek, British Columbia. James Nighswander was a miner. His letters describe his surroundings and experiences. The loose papers consist of two addresses by F. M. Nighswander on the currency question in 1885.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Francis Nighswander Papers, A 091, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|5||Journal and Miscellaneous papers||1862-1870|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Currency question--United States
- Gold mines and mining--British Columbia
- Gold mines and mining--Idaho
- Personal Names :
- Nighswander, Francis Marion, 1884---Archives
- Nighswander, James--Correspondence
- Geographical Names :
- California--Description and travel
- Oregon--Description and travel
- Yaquina Bay (Or.)--Description and travel
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Pencil works