Frank Williston papers, 1827-1972 PDF
- Williston, Frank Goodman, b. 1899
- Frank Williston papers
- 1827-1972 (inclusive)18271972
- 2.8 cubic feet, (7 boxes)
- Collection Number
- Frank Williston was a specialist in Far Eastern affairs, particularly Japan and China, who taught at the College of Puget Sound (now University of Puget Sound) before World War II. This collection contains materials on the political, historical and economic conditions in China, Japan, Manchuria, Malaya, Burma, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam and Southeast Asia. It also contains correspondence pertaining to the Nanking Theological Seminary during the Nanjing Massacre in December 1937. The collection contains publications, reprints, pamphlets, reports, correspondence, maps, a transcript and a manuscript.
- University of Puget Sound, Archives & Special Collections
University of Puget Sound Archives & Special Collections
Collins Memorial Library
1500 N. Warner St.
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to researchers by appointment.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Frank Goodman Williston was born 1899. He was a specialist in Far Eastern affairs, particularly Japan and China, who taught at the College of Puget Sound (now University of Puget Sound) before World War II. He earned his masters degree (1926) and PhD (1935) from the University of Chicago. Most of his academic career was at the University of Washington. In the 1950s and 1960s he broadcast a weekly radio program for KUOW (Seattle) dealing with events in the Far East.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Frank Williston papers contain single issues of magazines, guide books, booklets, and pamphlets on China, Japan, Manchuria, Malaya, Burma, Korea, and the Southeast Asia region. The materials are mainly on the political, historical and economic conditions. In addition, the collection contains maps.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Puget Sound.
[Name of document, date.] Frank Williston papers Mss.020. University of Puget Sound Archives & Special Collections. Tacoma, Washington.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
I: Pamphlets, 1909-1972Return to Top
The Pamphlets series contains printed material, including tourist information and political pamphlets.
Asian Language Pamphlets
American Navy in the Pacific
II: Papers, 1827-1966Return to Top
The Papers series contains both written and printed material, including maps of Asia, as well as reports and correspondence.
"Appeal by the Chinese Govt"
"Bibliography of Material About Thailand in Western Languages"
"Crisis in China"
Frank Williston United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administrative (UNRRA)
Materials related to Williston's time working for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administrative (UNRRA) in Asia after the end of WWII.
Frank Williston United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administrative (UNRRA) Reports & Correspondence
Frank Williston United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administrative (UNRRA) Reports
"Interviews Concerning the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam"
"The Korean's and Their Culture"
"Korea's Pop. and Labor Force"
Maps: Asia (General)
Maps: Asian Language
A series of oversized, rolled maps of various Asian countries.
The Nanking letters are a series of circular letters written by Christian missionaries teaching in seminaries during the Japanese Invasion of Nanking during December 1937-January 1938.
"New York Christian Advocate"
This item is a large bound volume of the weekly newspaper.
Notes and Reports, Japan & China
Petition in Favor of War in Vietnam
US Army News Bulletin: Nanking, China
Vietnamese Safe Conduct Passes
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Nanking Massacre, Nanjing, Jiangsu Sheng, China, 1937
- Personal Names :
- Bates, M. Searle, (Miner Searle), 1897-1978
- McCallum, J. H., Reverend, (James H.)
- Osgood, Cornelius, 1905-1985
- Price, Frank W, (Frank Wilson), 1895-1974
- Sone, Hubert L.
- Corporate Names :
- Jinling da xue.
- Jinling shen xue yuan.
- Shufeldt Mission to Korea (1880-1882).
- United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration.
- Geographical Names :
- Beijing (China)
- East Asia--History
- Nanjing (Jiangsu Sheng, China)
- Southeast Asia--History