Carolyn Schelling Scrapbook, 1909-1978 PDF
- Schelling, Carolyn.
- Carolyn Schelling Scrapbook
- 1909-1978 (inclusive)19091978
- 0.25 cubic feet, including 84 photographs, (2 oversize boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Schelling
- The Schelling Scrapbook was compiled by Carolyn Schelling and includes photographs and memorabilia documenting her attendance at the 1916 Oregon Agricultural College summer session.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for original encoding of this finding aid in 2006 was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Carolyn Josephine Schelling, of Cottage Grove, Oregon, attended the 1916 summer session at Oregon Agricultural College. She married Frank Pierce and was the first married woman school teacher in Portland, Oregon. Teachers were not allowed to be married so she kept her marriage a secret. Not long afterwards, the rule changed and she used her married name. She was an alumna of Oregon College of Education (Western Oregon University).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Carolyn Schelling Scrapbook consists of materials created and assembled by Schelling. The materials primarily document Schelling's attendance and activities during the 1916 Summer Session at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). The collection includes a scrapbook; photographs, memorabilia, and publications that were not affixed in the scrapbook; and two posters.
The photographs are primarily photographic postcards and snapshots. The images depict Schelling and her friends, campus buildings and views, the Lady of the Fountain, an OAC pillow, Marys Peak and the Willamette River, various summer session activities, and perhaps the home where Schelling lived at 820 S 11th Street. Of particular note is a panoramic postcard print titled "A View of the Country at Corvallis, Oregon" showing a view to the west from about 14th Street of the southern part of the OAC campus and the residential area between Washington and Western Streets and west of 14th Street.
The memorabilia includes a broadside of a moonlight dance given by the Corvallis Women's Club; a Majestic Theater movie schedule; and summer session ephemera.
The publications include the Program of Recitations and Directory of Instructors for the 1916 Summer Session and the June 1978 issue of OCEAN, the Oregon College of Education Alumni News.
Of particular note are the two posters: One is for the third annual women's pageant on June 2nd, 1916. The second poster is for the Corvallis Chatauqua in July 1916, which featured motion pictures of Antarctica, the New York City Marine Band, and Balmer's Kaffir Boy Choir of Africa.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Carolyn Schelling Scrapbook (MSS Schelling), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Summer schools--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Geographical Names :
- Corvallis (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.