Memorial Union Videotapes, 1980-1990 PDF
- Oregon State University. Memorial Union.
- Memorial Union Videotapes
- 1980-1990 (inclusive)19801990
- 1 cubic foot, including 17 videotapes, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- FV P 198
- The Memorial Union Videotapes consist of recordings made of the Ceramics 80 Conference held in 1980; a videotape orientation to the Memorial Union prepared in 1989; and several recordings pertaining to George Stevens. The Memorial Union was dedicated in 1929 as the student union for the Oregon State campus and provides services and facilities to the campus and Corvallis communities. George Stevens served as director of the Memorial Union from 1963 until his retirement in 1990.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Memorial Union was dedicated in 1929 as the student union for the Oregon State campus and provides services and facilities to the campus and Corvallis communities. One of the Memorial Union's many programs is the Craft Center, which offers non-credit classes and access to studios for ceramics, photography, fiber arts, wood working, flass, fine arts, jewelry, and metalwork.
The Ceramics 80 Conference, held in June 1980, was organized by Oregon State University Craft Center Manager Don Johnson and three others in the ceramics community. The conference was held in Snell Hall on campus and at other campus and community locations. The event featured presentations and workshops by nine nationally known ceramicists, including Rudy Autio, F. Carlton Ball, Dorothy Bearnson, Daniel Rhodes, and Paul Soldner.
George Stevens served as director of the Memorial Union from 1963 until his retirement in 1990. Stevens was appointed Associate Dean of Students for Student Activities in 1971 and promoted to Assistant Vice-President for Student Affairs in 1981. He taught graduate-level courses in college student services administration and was active in professional organizations. Stevens was born in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in 1926 and died in Corvallis in 1996.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Memorial Union Videotapes consist of recordings made of the Ceramics 80 Conference held in 1980; a videotape orientation to the Memorial Union prepared in 1989; and several recordings pertaining to George Stevens. The Ceramics 80 recordings consist of 10 3/4" Umatic videotapes. About half of these tapes contain interviews with professional ceramicists and artists invited to speak at the conference; the remainder depict various events including registration, an exhibit and reception at the Corvallis Arts Center, an informal discussion session at the end of the conference, and tile decoration at the McAlexander Fieldhouse.
The Memorial Union Orientation videotape (FV P198:1) was produced in 1989; the 14-minute videotape provides an introduction to the programs and activities of the Memorial Union and includes footage of the full range of student activities including recreational sports, the Craft Center, homecoming, Moms Weekend, the cultural centers, and student media. The videotape includes footage of all Memorial Union facilities as well as registration and commencement activities at Gill Coliseum. The collection includes 2 copies of the final production, a videotape of a sample edit, and a continuous play version (1 hour 53 min). All four videotapes are VHS format.
The George Stevens videotapes are all VHS format. They include Stevens lecturing to the Political Science 406 class on November 15, 1988 (FV P 198:2) about the student fees budgeting process at Oregon State; speakers at Stevens' retirement dinner in June 1990 (FV P198:3); and a news story about Stevens produced and aired by the KVAL-13 television station in Eugene in June 1990 (FV P198:4). The news story is reported by Ann Robinson and includes footage of many Memorial Union staff.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright, reproduction, and use restrictions may apply to the videotape of the news story about George Stevens produced and aired by KVAL-13 television station in Eugene.
Memorial Union Videotapes (FV P 198), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College environment--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student unions--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Personal Names :
- Autio, Rudy, 1926-
- Ball, F. Carlton, 1911-
- Bearnson, Dorothy.
- Rhodes, Daniel, 1911-1989.
- Soldner, Paul.
- Stevens, George F.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Stevens, George F. (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- KVAL-TV (Television station : Eugene, Or.) (creator)