Charles Michael Daugherty papers, 1914-1970 PDF
- Daugherty, Charles Michael, 1914-
- Charles Michael Daugherty papers
- 1914-1970 (inclusive)19141970
- 0.95 linear feet, (3 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 748
- Charles Michael Daugherty is known for writing and illustrating children's books. The collection includes correspondence, literary manuscripts, and illustrations.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Charles Michael Daugherty (November 17,1914- ) was born in New York City. He is a writer and illustrator of children's books. His father was an artist and author; his mother, a children's author. He was educated at Yale University and the Art Students League. He has written and illustrated a variety of books for young readers, most of them nonfiction works on the history of science. A number of Daugherty's volumes are meant to serve as introductions to careers as varied as Army service, photography, and oceanography.
Daugherty is perhaps best known for his work on scientific professions, including The Great Archaeologists, Wider than the Sky: Aviation as a Career, and Searchers of the Sea: Pioneers in Oceanography.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Charles Michael Daugherty Papers contains manuscripts of his published works and a small correspondence section.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Charles Michael Daugherty Papers, Ax 748, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
CorrespondenceReturn to Top
ManuscriptsReturn to Top
Samuel Clemens. Original
Samuel Clemens. First Version
Samuel Clemens. Second Version
Samuel Clemens. Third Version
Samuel Clemens. Printer's Proof
The Great Archeologists. Final Draft Printer's Copy
The Great Archeologists. Dummy and Page Proofs
The Great Archeologists. Galley
The Great Archeologists. Page Proofs
Searchers of the Sea. Final Draft Printer's Copy
Searcher's of the Sea. Page Proofs
Let 'Em Roll
MiscellaneousReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Archaeologists--Juvenile literature
- Authors, American--20th century
- Children's literature, American--Authorship
- Illustrated children's books--United States--Specimens
- Illustrators--United States
- Personal Names :
- Daugherty, Charles Michael, 1914---Correspondence
- Twain, Mark, 1835-1910--Juvenile literature
- Form or Genre Terms :