Leo J. Frachtenberg Audiotapes, 1986 PDF
- American Folklife Center
- Leo J. Frachtenberg Audiotapes
- 1986 (inclusive)19861986
- 0.02 cubic feet, including 4 cassette tapes
- Collection Number
- OrSlTCC Frachtenberg
- The collection contains four cassette copies of wax cylinder recordings of traditional Shasta, Tututni, and Upper Umpqua songs.
- Confederated Tribes of the Siletz, Tribal Cultural Collections
402 Park Way P.O. Box 549
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Collection materials are in English.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant rewarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Leo Joachim Frachtenberg was born in 1883 and graduated with a PhD from Columbia University in 1910. Frachtenberg started his fieldwork with Siletz languages soon after. Frachtenberg contributed to the Bureau of American Ethnology Handbook of American Indian Languages. In August 1915, Frachtenberg visited the Siletz Reservation and recorded 40 traditional Shasta, Tututni, and Upper Umpqua songs. He met his wife, an Oklahoma Native American girl, at the Siletz Agency where she worked. He maintained friendships with his Siletz associates.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains four cassette copies of seventeen wax cylinder recordings of Shasta, Tututni, and Upper Umpqua songs. Performers include Hoxie Simmons, Klamath Billie, and Archie Johnson.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Leo J. Frachtenberg Audiotapes, Siletz Tribal Cultural Collections, Siletz, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Siletz Indians--Music
- Personal Names :
- Cook, Joe
- Geographical Names :
- Siletz Indian Reservation (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Billie, Klamath (creator)
- Frachtenberg, Leo J., 1883-1930 (creator)
- Johnson, Archie (creator)
- Orton, Bensell (creator)
- Sampson, Billie (creator)
- Simmons, Hoxie (creator)
- Washington, Isaac (creator)
- West, Jack (creator)