Sidney Shalett papers, 1937-1965 PDF
- Barkley, Alben William, 1877-1956 Roosevelt family Shalett, Sidney, 1911-1965Shoumatoff, Elizabeth
- Sidney Shalett papers
- 1937-1965 (inclusive)19111965
- 22.5 linear feet, (15 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 248
- Sidney Shalett (1911-1965) was a freelance writer who also worked for the Chattanooga Times and the New York Times, and in 1947 became a Washington, D.C. correspondent for American Magazine. The collection contains manuscripts written by Shalett and with other collaborators, subject files, interviews with the Roosevelt family, correspondence, biographical material, photographs, and miscellaneous material.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Sidney Shalett (1911-1965) was born in Stamford, Conneticut, became a freelance writer and later worked for the Chattanooga Times and the New York Times. In 1947 he became a Washington correspondent for American Magazine. He interviewed the Roosevelt family for a research project on President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains manuscripts written by Shalett and with other collaborators, subject files, interviews with the Roosevelt family, correspondence, biographical material, photographs, and miscellaneous material.
Manuscripts include articles and article outlines, short fiction and book length manuscripts accompanied by working notes and source material, organized by title of work. Also included is a 750-page work that includes transcripts of conversations with Alben Barkley, transcripts of interviews with James, Anna, and Elliott Roosevelt, and a memorandum by Elizabeth Shoumatoff, 1955, concerning the last days of President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
The correspondence section is organized alphabetically by person or organization.
The collection also includes biographical and miscellaneous material and photographs.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Sidney Shalett papers, Ax 248, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Authors, American--20th century
- Authors, American--20th century--Correspondence
- Presidents--United States
- Personal Names :
- Barkley, Alben William, 1877-1956--Interviews
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- Shalett, Sidney, 1911-1965--Correspondence
- Family Names :
- Roosevelt family--Interviews
- Geographical Names :
- United States--Politics and government--1933-1945
- United States--Politics and government--20th century
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication