Claud L. Booth Photograph Album, 1919-1973 PDF
- Booth, Claud L.
- Claud L. Booth Photograph Album
- 1919-1973 (inclusive)19191973
- 0.1 cubic foot, including 66 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- P 300
- The Claud L. Booth Photograph Album was assembled by Booth to document his student years at Oregon Agricultural College and includes images of student activities and athletic teams and events. Claud Lorraine Booth attended Oregon Agricultural College in 1919-1923 and 1926-1927 and earned a BS in Industrial Arts in June 1928.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Claud L. Booth enrolled at Oregon Agricultural College in the fall of 1919, as a member of the Class of 1923, to study electrical engineering. Booth attended for three academic years, 1919-1920 through 1921-1922, but did not complete his degree at that time. In spring 1923, he moved from Roseburg, Oregon to Sterling, Colorado. In the fall of 1926, he returned to Oregon Agricultural College as a student in industrial arts. He attended during for the full 1926-1927 academic year and for the fall of 1927. Booth received a BS in Industrial Arts in June 1928.
Claud Lorraine Booth was born in Wilderville, Oregon on September 16, 1899 and graduated from Grants Pass High School in 1917. He served in the military from April 1917 to April 1919. Booth died on December 14, 1987 in Grants Pass, Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Claud L. Booth Photograph Album was assembled by Booth to document his student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC), primarily from 1919 to 1924. The images depict student activities, sports teams and events, athletes, and coaches. Several photographs of the rook-sophomore tug-of-war are part of the album as well as an image of yell leaders and the band marching in downtown Corvallis. About half of the album's images depict sports at Oregon Agricultural College and include photographs of individual athletes and coaches, teams, and athletic events. Images for baseball, basketball, football, soccer, track, and wrestling are included, with baseball and basketball comprising the majority. Of special note are a team photograph of the 1919 OAC soccer team as well as photographs of A.T. (Slats) Gill as a basketball player; W.A. Kearns, Director of Athletics; and baseball coach, Ralph Coleman. Booth is depicted in photographs of the 1920 freshman baseball team and the 1921 baseball team as well as the 1919 soccer team. Group photographs of students in the Class of 1923 as freshmen and of the Class of 1923 at its 50th reunion in 1973 are part of the collection; Booth is included in both of these images.
The album includes snapshots of places that Booth visited outside of Oregon, including New Orleans, El Paso, Tucson, Mount Shasta, and Orr's Lake. The collection also includes a ribbon for the OAC vs Washington State College football game on November 11, 1921 and a dance card for the Varsity O winter formal in 1927. Photographs that were not attached to the album pages have been placed in a separate folder housed with the album.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Claud L. Booth Photograph Album (P 300), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Baseball players--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Basketball players--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Personal Names :
- Gill, Amory T.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Baseball.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Basketball.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Soccer.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photograph albums.
- Photographic prints.