Alpha Lambda Delta was established at Oregon State College in 1933 as a chapter of the national honor society for sophomore women students. The national organization was established in 1924 and continues to recognize high scholastic achievement during the first year of college. Once initiated, an individual holds lifetime membership. Students are encouraged to continue their superior scholastic achievement, promote intelligent living and high standards of learning, and develop meaningful goals in service to society.
The Alpha Lambda Delta Records document the membership and activities of this honor society for sophomore women at Oregon State. The collection includes a scrapbook, secretary's book, and initiation book.
The scrapbook includes photographs, lists of members, clippings, and ephemera from 1933 to 1952. The photographs consist predominantly of individual portrait prints of members; group photographs of chapter members and images of programs and activities are also included. The newspaper clippings provide information about new members, initiation activities, and programs of the organization. Of special note are articles about activities of the organization during World War II including war bond drives and farm labor drives to assist Benton County farmers with their crops. Articles about women who worked on seed farms and hop yards and in harvesting carrots and beets are part of the scrapbook. The scrapbook also features a chart showing the number of members who completed their degrees at Oregon State for the period 1933-1942.
The secretary's book includes a brief description of the establishment of the organization in 1933 and meeting minutes for 1933-1942. The initiation book consists of lists of members who joined the organzation in 1938-1947.