Edgar P. Hoener Papers, 1946-1983 PDF
- Hoener, Edgar P.
- Edgar P. Hoener Papers
- 1946-1983 (inclusive)19461983
- 2.5 cubic feet, including 60 photographs, (3 boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Hoener
- The Edgar P. Hoener Papers consist of materials created and assembled by Hoener, primarily reflecting his work as a staff member and editor of The Timberman industry magazine during the 1940s and 1950s. The collection includes correspondence, publications, reference materials, photographs, and awards.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Edgar P. Hoener served as Vice President and Business Manager of The Timberman, a timber industry magazine published in Portland, Oregon by George M. Cornwall from 1932 until he became co-publisher in 1950 after Cornwall's death. Miller Freeman Publications acquired a partial interest in the publication in 1955 and full ownership in 1957. In 1962, The Timberman was combined with The Lumberman and Woods Industries to form a new publication, Forest Industries.
Hoener was born September 20, 1898, and died in Portland, Oregon in November 1985. In 1986, a bequest in excess of $1 million was made from his estate to the Oregon State University College of Forestry to establish the Dorothy B. Hoener Memorial Fund, in memory of Hoener's wife. Income from the bequest was designated for scholarships and fellowships for forestry students at Oregon State University.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Edgar P. Hoener Papers consist of materials created and assembled by Hoener, primarily reflecting his work as a staff member and editor of The Timberman magazine. The collection includes correspondence, publications, procedures manuals, information files on the lumber and publishing industries, awards, and photographs. The collection also includes materials pertaining to OSU organizations with which Hoener was affiliated and to political causes and organizations to which Hoener subscribed.
The photographs consist of b/w prints, many of which were taken or acquired for publication in The Timberman. The photographs depict the magazine staff and owners and their participation in timber industry and publishing organizations as well as various timber industry activities in the Pacific Northwest. The awards include certificates and plaques.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Forest products industry--Periodicals.
- Forests and forestry--Northwest, Pacific.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University. College of Forestry.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.