The club was founded in 1938 by several staff members of the Oregon State University Federal Cooperative Extension Service for the purpose of gastronomy and good fellowship, and was loosely based upon similar clubs that existed in the 18th century. The first officers were H. A. Lindgren, "Top Sirloin" (president), and E. R. Jackman, "Little Chop" (scribe).
Records pertain to the activities of the Steak and Chop Club, particularily meetings held at different locations throughout the state. Meeting minutes/reports are incomplete. Correspondence is primarily among the club's officers and to/from guests invited to the club's meetings.
Steak and Chop Club Records, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.